Is that a '63 you're playing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davo-London, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Davo-London

Davo-London

This was the question levelled to me after playing in a worship band on Sunday. It was a double Christening and there were several new faces at church.

One guy came up after the service and asked the aforementioned question. I was stoked. It's a '64 was my answer but we then got into a discussion on basses and bass playing. He was very complimentary, which is always nice ;) and it was a very pleasant moment.

So, there's no real moral to this story other than; we love to talk about basses but it's the use of the darn things that's important!

Anyone else get bass-related comments from a gig or service?

Davo
  2. LanOsb133

LanOsb133

I'll play.

Played a gig with my band, and one guy came up afterwords and said "Dude your bass playing was awesome! You remind me of the bassist from The Fall Of Troy." TFOT is one of my favorite bands and I know almost their entire discography on bass. He totally made me feel like the top of the world that night. I also get asked by other bassists (and a few gear heads) what P bass I own since the Humbucker P's aren't very popular down here. Its all just a standard MIM P or a standard MIM J with the occasional MIA.
  3. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

One service I visualised "smooth, like silk", and a guy told me my playing was very smooth. Less frills, more expression.
  4. Davo-London

Davo-London

Very good compliment. Smooth, no fancy stuff. Bet that's what the leader wanted too.

Lan0sb: that must have been a special moment. They last for a long time in the head ...

Davo
  5. Sartori

Sartori

Every time I play out with my Rickenbacker.

Not so much with the Peavey, ha.
  6. Geri O

Geri O

There's several bassists at our church and we are on rotation. Most of the basses are Ibanez and a couple of Warwicks, so my Music Man Stingray sticks out somewhat. I get a lot of questions and compliments, if I say so myself, on its sound. Plus I get a lot of "I can tell right away that you're playing the service today before I even see the stage" from the production staff and those in the congregation that are in tune with the music. That's very humbling to me.

So I can't wait to be able to use the Alembic Series 1 someday. Unfortunately, it's a 4-string and there's a whole lot of 5-string bass in contemporary worship music. But it'll happen...:D:bassist:
  7. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder

My favorite comment after a service was "your playing really propels the music"....
  8. malthumb

malthumb

Often. But then, that's because even my normal basses ain't normal. Most people, even seasoned bassists, don't often see an Alembic in the wild, so often when I use those, either a bassist in the crowd notices or someone catches sight of the LEDs and asks about that.

My Marchlewski is just a gorgeous instrument that always draws questions. Sometimes bassists will ask if it's a Tobias (headstock reference). Happened Saturday night via a Facebook question on my "tonight's setup" post.

[​IMG]

And one of my most "normal" basses, the MM Sabre on the stand with the Marchlewski, gets questions about the source of the pickguard.

The most bizarre comment / question so far was the saxophonist who noticed my Roscoe LG-3005 fretless and assumed I couldn't afford a real Fender. Offered to hook me up with a pawn shop that he knew carried used Fenders at a reasonable price. :rollno:
  9. sinbad7

sinbad7

I love when people comment on my tone. I get a tone compliment like "your tone is perfect" or similar almost every time we play and it couldn't make me happier. I also love playing small shows when most of the bands have beginner or small equipment and I roll in with my full stack and watch kids jaws drop, simply because of the size lol
  10. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

I usually play my Jazz V but often bring one of my other basses just for fun to my church gig. Never fails to draw a comment from someone. I like when people tell me that they missed my playing last week if I'm not there. We don't have another bassist so it's just me. Positive comments from other musicians are always nice.
  11. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

In the last year, I have had more complements about my tone than in the last 10.

My Fodera, Jule Monique, Bergantino combination sounds just killer and I get asked about it a lot. Cool thing is, nobody really knows what a Fodera or Monique is or if it is expensive or cheap. I have had only one person recognize what my bass was in the year I have been gigging it and that was a 16 year old kid that recognized the bass from a magazine. Cool that people say I sound great without being influenced that my gear is pretty expensive.

One funny observation I will add.... Almost all bassists I have ran into at my gigs over the years that were excited to talk about gear with me were when I was playing Fenders. What year, what model, pickups, etc. Fenders really do start conversations. Foderas, Roscoes, Spectors, EBMM, Sadowskys..... Not so much.
  12. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    Way back in the day, a guy approached me after a gig and said my playing reminded him of Cliff Burton. I think it was more due to the band I was in at the time, but I still took the compliment.
  13. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I did a poetry slam gig where our trio (bass/drums/sax) plays briefly between poets - short improvs that hit the ground running and stop on a dime. One poet finished up his slam in a sing-song rhyming of the last verse. I quickly found the key and when we started I wove that same refrain into our short improv. After the night was over the poet came up and told me he was blown away by how I bridged his slam into the music breakdown. Thats what I love about playing - it's immediate and intimate and taps into something we all share in common.
  14. Monster Truck

Monster Truck Supporting Member

I was backing an acoustic guitarist/singer/song writer at a coffeehouse with my Squier Musicmaster Vista. A kid came up to me afterward and asked me about the mods on the Bronco Bass I was playing.

Best compliment I ever got was from a guy that runs an open mic. After we played he shook my hand and told me, "Good job. We finally had a real bassist show up." He offered me a spot in the house band:bassist:, but my work schedule wouldn't allow it.:(
  15. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    Best compliment I ever got after a church gig was from the drummer who emailed me the next day saying that he appreciated my playing. The fact he was thinking about it the next day really surprised and flattered.
  16. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

At church yesterday a younger adult man came up and introduced himself. Told me I was the best bassist he'd ever seen in person. Made my day. I also had a talk w a partitioner who used to play and asked my advice on buying something inexpensive to noodle on. Church gig is a blast. Great people and no one is drunk spilling beer on my pedalboard!
  17. Mike M.

Mike M.

Once after playing a church service, a guy came up to me and said "you play one wicked bass."

I couldn't help it. I said "but I played drums today." The look on this guys face was total ?!?!?!?!? I busted out laughing and then he did too. I thanked and told him I was sorry for the joke and he say's "no, no...that was great! Made my day!"
  18. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

best compliment i ever got was after service one sunday 5 years ago, the drummer flagged me down, asked me if I had a regular gig.
    I said no, so he hooked me up and we've been playing in one band or another off and on ever since then.
  19. spufman

spufman Supporting Member

On my brother's deck at one of his infamous parties, sitting atop my little old Tubeworks combo with a very old G&L SB-2, I accompanied a talented acoustic guitarist/singer and his lovely-voiced wife for an hour or so. We played Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Browne, Jim Croce, Black Crowes, Counting Crows, etc. I kept hearing whispers of, "that guy is sick," and "listen to that guy." Kind of ignored it thinking it wasn't me. Then when we were done, a guy came up to me and said, "dude you make me want to play bass." Sure put a smile on my face for the rest of the night!
  20. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

One singer/guitarist/worship leader at church is also a full-time recording engineer. Several times when I've played a tasty fill or passing notes he's grinned and said "oh, nice" or similar compliments.

Last weekend at a pub gig a guitarist-punter also complimented me on my tasty fills.

My philosophy is simple
    - create as much 'space' in my playing as I can. Look for every opportunity to NOT play a note.
    - make every note count.

I guess when I do play something fancy there's a much stronger contrast.