1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Is that Bass Talk Box?? Joe Walsh - rivers of the hidden funk

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dkelley, Oct 21, 2013.

1. dkelley

dkelley

Is that Bass Talk Box?? Joe Walsh - "Rivers (of the hidden funk)", from the album "There Goes The Neighborhood"

I just picked up a rocktron talk box for my guitar and was shocked to hear what I think is lightly mixed in talkbox on the bass guitar while the main bass sound is clearly the standard tone. Or else Joe went in after and doubled the bass line on talkbox guitar (almost sounds like that now that I listen closely to the bass fills starting almost 3 minutes into the tune).

The talkbox is very quiet compared to the bass itself.

What do you guys think?

I want to try it mixed in with my normal bass sound now LoL. I guess to try it I should DI my bass to my board so I can have a good dry tone and then run out of the DI 1/4 into the talk box. Could be interesting... could be terrible...

Anyone done this? Anyone paid attention to this song before?
  2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

Very obviously double tracked. Sounds like a guitar to me. If it is a bass then the Talkbox is sucking out all the low end - my guess is a guitar.

If I wanted to do that tone live I'd use a Bassballs (or clone - the Mooer is pretty good) in the loop of a blend pedal.
  3. bassplayerbob

bassplayerbob

Here's some for ya!!!!
  4. dkelley

dkelley

Sweet demos! Thanks. ....
  5. bassplayerbob

bassplayerbob

No problem...I have been wanting to get one for a while,but the no return policy(understandable) keeps making me wait on it.
  6. dkelley

dkelley

I'll be trying my banshee on bass at home tonight or tomorrow probably. ... had to wait till I setup my music room better. Will see how easy it is for quality success
  7. bassplayerbob

bassplayerbob

Did you ever get to hook up the banshee??
  8. dkelley

dkelley

Yes it's very cool! Needs to be played up high or you lose bass obviously but I'll experiment with mixing and mic setups to see what it can do when recorded. So far I've only messed around and recording isn't possible yet.

It works better withmy mid forward carvin than my scooped music man basses.