1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Is the Ibanez bass I want a good addition to the ones I got?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by H3R3T1K, Apr 10, 2014.

1. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

I'm a student and I allocate pretty much all my cash which comes in irregularly to basses and gear. Next month is my birthday and I been saving up for a new bass. I can't spend 1000€ or more. But that's why I want your opinion on the new gear.

I started playing on a 260€-Yamaha-PJ bass which plays suprisingly well (lightweight, no sharp edges and a fast neck but too slim for my big hands):

[​IMG]

So I swapped the PUs with Tonerider-ones and removed the middle blend pot to put in a 3-way toggle switch.

I then got a 5-string (Ibanez SR705-TK) for 730€ which I hardly use because what I play doesn't need the B and so I never got used to it. I plays great though and I will eventually play it more often.

[​IMG]

I then felt like another 4-string which would be different to the one I got. I like the Fender J- and P-basses and since I knew what the P sounds like I was ready for a Jazz-bass. I got a Squier VM Jazz for 298€. I dind't have the cash for a more expensive Jazz-bass and I thought it would be OK because I didn't know if I would like the sound. I love the look of the instrument. I wanted to try the feel of the maple fretboard and I thought the maple body is something cool.

I swapped the pickups for Tonerider ones and replaced the electronics with quality parts. Also got some cheap Chinese Jazz-bass-knobs for it.

[​IMG]

So that's where I am right now. Lately I've been GASing for this one:

Ibanez ATK800-WNF (700€)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think it could be a great addition the lineup. Basically I want a affordable but quality 4-string for gigging with some new tonal options. I like the ash body and maple fretboard because I like a bright yet punchy sound. I also hear it's got a fat neck which I dig because I got big hands. What do you guys say? Good addition? Bad addition?

2. dalkowski

dalkowski

Three words: Treat. Yo. Self.

That's a sweet Ibby -- I'd rock it.

ScottMatt and PimasterPearson like this.
  3. Droopy

Droopy

American Fender Jazz. I own plenty of other basses, including lots of Ibanez, I play the Fender out everytime.

4. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

I've been eyeing that MIM standard jazz bass with maple fingerboard... I have a set of hot noiselees Jazz-PUs from Seymour Duncan... That be good, no? Can't afford American just yet.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I hear they are great basses I would go for it.

7. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah Straight out a donkey's mouth Supporting Member

They really are nice basses, but I have a darn near unreasonable loyalty to Ibanez. The last few ATK's I've played were kind of heavy though. If you've played one and like it, I would strongly suggest getting one, they sound amazing.

8. DannyBob

DannyBob

The ATK is similar to a Music Man Stringray, and from the sounds of it a Music Man esque tone is one of the only tones you are missing. IMO, ATK > Music Man but that is because I am a loyal Ibanez fan. So yeah, I would treat myself to something nice for my birthday if I were you :)

9. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

I have an ATK, though it doesn't have the sc pickup like the walnut bass above. That sure looks like a nice ATK, but man, if I had $1,100 to spend, I wouldn't drop it on an ATK. I'd surf ebay for a nice G&L L2k Tribute in the 300€ range.

10. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

I dig those ATK's a lot. With the big humbucker and the single coil, there's a huge amount of tonal versatility there.
    My only two gripes are with the weight and the thick neck.

11. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

It's a ash bass, not walnut. It's just dyed and has a rosewood pickguard. Heavyness is not so much an issue for me (yet). It can't be as heavy as my soft maple J-Bass. That thing is HEAVY. The fat neck is a plus since I have big hands and slim necks feel weird to me especially on 4-strings.

So you guys have officially made me feel good about spending the dough and get this bad-boy. It's cool you say it can sound MM-ish because that is a kind of sound I have been wanting to add to my collection.

12. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

Nice ATK- the MM sound is what you're missing from the collection. That being said, why not get an actual MM to round off your collection instead of an Ibby? (Why get something that's emulating the sound of a MM bass when you can just get a Musicman?) Sorry, playing devil's advocate here. :)

I would try a MM and compare it to the ATK if you have the chance.

13. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

To answer your question, Yes. You have all the basses covered already except the musicman sound. That ATK will do the trick. Get it and report back.

14. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

I always try to upgrade with each purchase. I'd take all three of those basses, and trade them in for a new or used U.S. Fender Precision or Jazz. Then again, you won't get much for the Yamaha, even with it being a decent bass. Maybe hang onto that one to experiment on. Those RBX basses sound great without frets.

You're set for life, after that.

15. Guinness20

Guinness20

In a similar position to you - I'm a student, I don't have a regular income and when I doo sae up some money it goes on a bass.

I agree with maxdusty & think you should consider an mm bass. But, if you're heart s set on an ibanez personally I'd go for the sr1200 vnf.

16. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

The problem is that MMs are really expensive. Also that Ibby is 1050€. That's too expensive. I think I'll go with the ATK. I won't need any more basses for some time because I have all the basses covered :) And once I earn money I'll get that MM, that MIA Jazz-bass and so on :D

17. pudgychef

pudgychef

OP states he doesn't like thin necks...SR series known for uber thin necks makes it likely not a good match

18. pudgychef

pudgychef

+1

do you take lessons? If I could go back to student age (even as a student that worked fulltime) I would spend WAY less on multiple mid level basses and WAY more on lessons, books etc

I would vote for one decent bass and one back-up plus pro setups on each and lessons...the line up you have now covers any bar/club/party gig you are likely to encounter between now and music paying the bills.

i might suggest keeping your VM Jazz as they are great basses stock (played plenty of gigs/demos on VM J or P) and always useful to have a passive fender type bass around..heck that plus your 5 or the ATK would cover just about anything.

money spent towards making you a better player and making the gear you play, play easier is worth more to me than a collection of affordable gear not being played.

leave the 'collection' worries until you are old (like a lot of us) or decide to be a 'collector'

imho ime ymmv :thumbup:

EDIT - actually I might say scale down to ATK and a passive 4 as a back up if you rarely play the 5..

(note - if you happen to be well to do and tuition money etc moving forward isn't an issue - buy it and keep them all! I was strictly speaking from my own financial point of view)

19. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

True. My 5-string SR has a real thin neck. If it was a 4 it would be quite uncomfortable for me to play. The "best" neck on the basses I got is on the Jazz-bass and if it would be a little thicker it would probably be the optimum. So if the ATKs neck is fat, that would be really cool.

My take on the whole thing is not about collecting but about having affordable but quality instruments that cover the main varieties of sounds and really get to know them well under different circumstances (something you can't always do in the store). And then I'm gonna decide which type of bass I like so much I'm willing to pay 1.5k+ for the real deal (MM or MIA Fender).

But right now I feel the ATK fills a gap. It's a good bass and if I finally decide that a real fine MIA PJ from Fender is the holy grail for me then I would feel bad about having spent 1.5k for a real MM.

20. Wallace320

Wallace320

First of all, you really "look" German: you're focused and your options are well motivated and explained

Anyway: I'm a fully fledged Ibanez (in general) and Atk series (in particular) fruitor and I gotta tell ya present Atks have lil' to nothin' to do with MusicMan kinda sound, they just retain a comparable look

Former Atks were equipped with proprietary TripleCoil pickups, so they could switch between serial (with rolloff tone) serial and parallel just like MusicMan

Present Atks are CAP equipped: I really tend to think'em to be AlNiCo instead of ceramic (but can definitely be wrong here) so they can just switch from multiple serial humbuckers: front (dualcoil in a singlecoil housin') and bridge double humbucker

They're not that heavy (your maple Squier's definitely heavier)
    'cause they come in light ash just like MIJ Prestige series, with
    which they share same pickups and electronics, but at this point I really think you could like a true MusicMan approach

The only con with a Sterlin' by MusicMan Ray34 is that they've
    thinner necks than StingRays, but the price is the same with Premium Atks the origin (Indonesia) is the same too, plus you get the real thing

Think about that.

Cheers,
    Wallace

21. pudgychef

pudgychef

+1 to the newest ATKs not sounding that MMish in comparison but sounding good none the less

would love to try the MIJ ATK...I had one of the original MIJ ATKs from the first run...sold it to a buddy who still uses it almost exclusively. The MII played sounded very nice imho

aren't the SBMM Ray 34s 'normal' Stingray nut width and the SBMM Ray 34CAs the ones with the narrow Sterling width nuts?