Is the line 6 relay g50 any good?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Maya403, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Maya403

Maya403

Os the line 6 relay g50 any good or is there better wireless systems for bass guitars?

2. TXLawDawg

TXLawDawg Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

I don't think it really gets any better than the Line 6 stuff when it comes to wireless. I use the G30 and it has been flawless.

3. boomboom4200

boomboom4200

thats what I got ,I run it with an ampeg svt3pro,and an ampeg 4x10 classic(not that any of that really matters)got it velcroed in the front of my rack,cant afford the rack unit one,it has not failed me EVER,except once when I for got to change the batteries,good solid construction,always got an extra cord and power adaptor

4. packer

packer

I'm thinking about going wireless my self, and started looking about a week ago. I like to research things before I make the leap, and Line 6 wasn't even on my radar. The more I searched, the more the Line 6 G30 & G50 came up. Went to Guitar Center, and ask the kid at the counter about them, and told me I didn't want the inferior system, to much interference from cellphones, and just noisy. He pointed me towards Shure or Sennheiser. Asked to looks at a G30 or G50, and they were out of stock. Humm??? Sounds like he just wanted ot make "the sale". With all that, I'm leaning towards the G50. Hope it's the right choice.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    When I bought mine at GC, the girl tried to upsell me to the Shure digital unit because they also were out of stock with the G50s. Another GC in my area had some, so I told her have them hold one for me. She got credit for the sale, and life was beautiful all around. You'll be happy with the G50 ... well, maybe except for that one thing ...

7. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Media:
    Nice...LOL!

I really like the Line 6 wireless stuff. I had an X2 a few years ago and loved it, just got tired of schlepping a big @$$ rack fulla gear to every gig! I'll be picking up a G50 as soon as I finish the rest of my pedalboard, and, maybe, after I grab that Fender MIA Deluxe Jazz V...;)

Are you talking about THAT one thing?

8. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain

G50. Do it, you won't regret it. I did it, and I'm not going back.

9. packer

packer

Love it! Thanks guys, a G50 it is!

10. bmallory

bmallory

Just keep a box of AA's handy, I find I get 2 rehearsals and 1 gig generally out of a pair But a great system keep a spare cord you'll never look back

11. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

8 hr to 9 hrs on the batteries for the G50. It is fantastic for bass. It sounds like your bass - sounds as good and better than cables. No drop outs on tone, very little chance for interference and better sound than those Shure $800 analog contraptions....

Do not even consider the other units out there. :eek: I really mean that. The G50 gives me every ounce of my bass tone - I do not ever have to worry about high end vanishing when I used a 15' cord.

Seriously though, plug in a 15 foot cord, then plug in the G50 and listen to the difference. The G50 will give you every ounce of high end - like you are using a 3' cord to your amp. 15' cords, IME, roll off the extreme high end. Not a big deal for some, but I can definitely hear the difference. Grab a cable and compare it to the G50, you will HEAR it.

I have used the G50 for over two years now, screw cables! :bassist:

12. Gearhead17

Buying a bunch of AA's at Home Depot or something will save you a bunch of money. I use RayoVac and get awesome performance out of them. Grab a 20 or more pack......

You should probably replace the cable that comes with it. I suggest this one: Shure WA304

Get the version with the angled end, that usually works better in a live situation.

13. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

+1 do it I love mine. I use Meijer brand alkaline batteries (cheap) and am very happy with battery life

14. SevenJacks

SevenJacks

I spent the extra for the G50 isntead of the G30.
    I've only gotten to use it twice in gigs but oh man, it really is a whole new thing not stepping on chords and moving out on the dance floor! :D

15. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    However, if you like the way your bass sounds through a particular length of cable, the G50 has a knob that you can adjust for simulated cable length. I never use it.

Oh, that one thing? Some have complained that the cable pulls out of the transmitter too easily. I've never experienced that but, then again, I use Shure cables with mine.

16. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

apparently they just fixed even that! the new beltpacks have metal jacks instead of plastic, so they won't get stripped out anymore.

17. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

This may help a few, I use rechargeable batteries, Duracell NiMH, 1700 mAh.
    I have a four battery charger that sits in my power chain, so it is always there with my rigs, i have eight batteries in all, so there are always batteries sitting in it ready to use.

Each 'pair' of batteries has the corresponding letters in the Duracell name marked so they can be always used as a pair.

Any pair to be used that are charged have there positive and negative tips reversed and held that way with an elastic band around them near the tips.

For changing them you open the compartment, slip out the old ones, slid in the new ones, remove the band and they are in and ready to go. Having the elastic band around them and the tips reversed means they can be loaded fast and easy in the dark if need be.

The old batteries to be charged are either loose, or already have the elastic band put on them as a pair, but there tips match, so it it positive and positive, that way it shows they are lined up ready to be charged.

Any loose batteries can be paired back up because the letters of Duracell have been marked to show pairs.

I carry a spare two battery quick charger as a spare, all batteries are rotated in use to ensure they all get used.
    I have other devices that use the AA batteries, so I use them to run the batteries flat so I can give them a full recharge.
    Because I recharge the batteries i use after every use, (they may not always be flat) running them flat helps keep them healthy.

I have yet to have any sort of failure during the five years I have used it and this system.

18. Gearhead17

I never use that feature either. My cables pop out too easily, but I loop it around my strap a special way. This eliminates the majority of the problem and the rest I can control.

Line 6 is using something different for the mini-XLR connection now.

19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    The best in it's price point. There are other units just as good or better. They just cost way more.

20. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

+1:cool:

21. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    So now it's perfect in every way!