1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Is the new amp I got broken or are they all like this?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by EstusFlask, Mar 21, 2014.

1. EstusFlask

EstusFlask

Hi, I'm new to TB and professional bass equipment in general, and need some help determining if I need to return my amp for a new one.

I have been playing on an old Behringer 60w combo forever and decided it was time to upgrade. I bought a used Eden D210XST locally and a mint used Markbass Little Mark Tube from Music123.

I've been playing for half a month and really love the sound, but today, home alone with no noise or my computer fans running, I heard noise coming from my cab when I turned on the amp. I unplugged everything and moved everything away from the setup so it is just the amp, cab, and speakon cable connecting them, and turned on the amp (no bass plugged in). When i turn up the master volume, the noise (like white noise or wushing air or something, not a buzz) increased.

I then realized that the second combo input's gain was turned up to max (i never use that second input). Not sure when that happened but I turned it down and the noise reduced considerably.

But now I know that noise is there...Even with the seconary gain all the way down, with my main gain and master both at noon, I can hear the noise if I get close to the speaker and it gets louder if I turn the master up.

Is this normal or do I have a bad amp...

2. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works
    A) It's normal - especially with tweeters.

B) You're not going to have your head near the cab in practice. If you only play at home, you'll notice it more, but if you're on a gig, it won't be audible.

3. EstusFlask

EstusFlask

Yeah it is only at home, I don't gig.

The weird thing is that I turned off the tweeter and the noise I am talking about is mostly coming from the actual 10" speakers.

It definitely isn't that bad now that I fixed the secondary gain issue, but I wanted to make sure it was a normal thing. It's not that loud if I'm standing a few feet from the amp but I can detect it if everything is silent and I stop playing.

4. Joedog

Joedog

Sometimes old funky house wiring can cause/add to this problem. Just for fun try plugging the amp into another room (circuit) or even better a different house?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Vanceman

Vanceman

My Mesa WA did that, kind of a wooshing noise, and it turned out I needed to replace one of the preamp tubes.

7. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Better hope it is not the tube. The MarkBass LM tube uses a miniature soldered in place tube.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    That's a valid point. Makes me wonder if that little micro tube in there is bad. Happens. Got no clue why they chose a tube that has to be soldered into the board, though. Well actually, yes I do know why...it's small and cheap. But that makes swapping it out difficult.

9. EstusFlask

EstusFlask

Turning the mix all the way to solid state (which I assume means tube amp is not used at all) doesn't change the noise I'm hearing...does that mean it's not the tube preamp? I hope it's not...

As long as I don't have the volume at max (which I never would), I can't really hear the noise unless the entire room is silent and i get close to my amp.

With the volume and gain at noon, I have to have my ear 5 inches from the speaker to hear the noise.

Please tell me its not the tube preamp because that was my biggest worry when buying this amp.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Oh, you're just hearing normal operational noise, I believe. If you have to get close to your amp in a quiet room to hear it, then it's not a problem. Any amp will do that.

11. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

I've never heard an amp that was totally silent. Stop worrying:D

12. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Ever have a soundman tell you your mic'd signal is no good because of it? I've been getting that a bit lately and it's very annoying.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nope, I haven't. I've had soundmen tell me it's no good for a myriad of stupid reasons, but not that one.

:D

14. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

That life span of those tubes is huge. The amp itself will be long gone well before the tube dies.