1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Is There a Bright Ground or Half-Round?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bgavin, Dec 2, 2012.

1. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

I know about the DA Half-Rounds which are pure nickel.
    Fodera makes a Compressed Round in SS.
    GHS makes the Pressurewound Flats, which aren't really a Flat..

The Ken Smith Slick Round / Ground Wound appears to an Alloy 52 type.
    These appear to be smoother than their Compressors.

I'm looking for brightness comparisions, life expectancy.
    Preference is for true Groundwound types, rather than compressed type.

Anything like this in stainless?

Thoughts?
  2. JTE

JTE

Don't know if they're stainless, but GHS Brite-Flats are a ground round, like D'Addario Half-Rounds. Brighter than D'Addario nickel Half-Rounds, and I liked them a LOT better than D'Addarios when I was using modified rounds back in the mid '80s.

John
  3. Lemon Of Troy

Lemon Of Troy

Fodera strings are not 'compressed', they are 'compression wound'..meaning that they are roundwounds with the outer wraps being applied tighter than normal...like DR strings. They

GHS Pressurewounds are some of the brighter ground/pressure/oval strings I've tried. They sound like moderately worn nickels. You definitely don't get that Motown 'thump' out of them.
  4. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

I'm looking for bright ground-wounds or similar, for fretless.
  5. soulman969

soulman969

Ask Jason @ bassstringsonline.com (SLaPiNFuNK here on TB) for a recommendation. Nobody knows strings better than he does.
  6. joelb79

joelb79

Try the GHS. They are something else. Bright roundwound like tone without finger squeak and more fundamental, but harmonically rich and full sounding. Louder than other strings due to the wrap of Alloy 52. They are unique I'll say, but nothing like a flat wound like they say they are. They're more round-like.
  7. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com

IMHO Compressors / Pressure Wounds are smoother than the Slick Rounds especially at first.

Here is a visual for you:

[​IMG]

La Bella makes a stainless steel Quarter Round where only 1/4 of the string is shaved off.

Alloy 52 (Nickel / Iron Alloy) is in the middle between Stainless and Nickel Plated Steel as far as tone.
  8. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

Thanks for getting back to me on the La Bella QRs.
    They pique my interest because they are a true ground type, with a SS wrap for brightness.
    For the fretless I want a ground wound that is brighter than the DA Half-Rounds and has a decent string life.

If La Bella has a decent life span similar to Lo-Riders, I will be ordering for certain.
    Early string death is the reputation I've seen for Rotosound, so I'm not at all interested in their 55 Solo Bass SS pressure-wound.

I've played GHS Progressives with Alloy 52 over many years.
    My ear was never particularly critical, but they felt good enough and seemed to hold up.