Is there a good way to seal up an Ibanez SR500 series bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sgroh87, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Sgroh87

Sgroh87 Supporting Member

I've been looking at getting one of these basses, but the one thing that's kinda turned me off is how soft the wood is and how easily the finish gets scratched. Is there a good or easy way to seal up the wood and keep the finish from wearing off?
  2. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!! Supporting Member

I was asking myself the same question not too long ago. I suppose your inquiry may apply to any thinly-finished bass. These bodies are urethane-finished, so my knee-jerk answer would be to apply thicker/several coats of poly. The only downside to that is stripping the bass of pups, bridge, wiring, controls and neck then doing any necessary prep work.

I almost bought one myself, a used SR500 (or was it a 505?) that had a bit of finish wear near the pups. I didn't think much of it (yeeeaaah...road-worn!!!) I didn't buy it but have pondered that lost deal/opportunity.
  3. KingRazor

KingRazor

Maybe Tru-oil or tung oil?
  4. KeithAlanK

KeithAlanK

Getting one type of finish to stick to a different kind is hit or miss.
    For best results you'll need to strip it down to bare wood.
    Then, because of the deep pores in Ibanez's mahogany, a polyurethane spray will take the least # of coats to get a good looking finish.

TruOil and tung oil would take a month at least--I just did a walnut gunstock and it looks great but took forever.

Buy an SR700 instead.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MoreBeer

MoreBeer

I have an SR505 and I'm not sure the wood will look that great if loaded up with several coats of poly? I agree that a little oil might be the way to go if concerned about the finish. I also agree if you really like this guitar and want a durable finish, go with an SR700. I have one of those also.

Only reason I bought the 505 was cost, as I just wanted a nice 5 string bass with a thin neck at a reasonable price.