1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Is there a P5 with narrow spacing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Webtroll, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Is there a traditional style passive single split P pickup bass with a 1.75" nut and bridge spacing around 18mm that are lightweight (no bridge pickup preferred)? The Fender and Squier P5s are spaced a bit wide for my tastes, and I don't have the funds to have a luthier build me one. I've thought about buying parts from Warmoth, but I'd hate to buy all the parts and put something together I'd lose a ton of money reselling if I don't like it. I've been looking at the Gibson EB 5 string basses but they're not what I want. Not bad, just not the style I want.

So, is there anything like that out there?

2. cb56

cb56

G&L L5000 if you can find one, but the string spacing was more like 16mm. They only made 400 of them and like a fool I sold mine.

3. Webtroll

The L5000 is one of my dream basses, I'd love to have one with a rosewood fingerboard and a scythe headstock. I'd get used to the 16mm bridge and play with a pick and a grin.

4. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

How about the Squier P5 and put a Hipshot bridge on it and have a nut made to bring the strings closer at the nut?
    The stock bridge is 18.5

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cb56

cb56

Mine was a clear coat finish on ash body. Rosewood fretboard and sickle headstock. Man do I ever regret getting rid of that thing. GREAT tone!

7. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

8. Webtroll

I've thought about it, that or getting one and having a neck made for it, but I do like the way thinner necks feel in my hand so I'm not sure narrower spacing on a wider neck would work out. *also* I prefer rosewood to maple. Still worth consideration.

9. Webtroll

Not a fan of Carvin. Style wise I think they miss more than they hit. I've considered having one made, but haven't played one I've loved which isn't terribly inspiring.

10. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member Supporting Member

[​IMG]

11. Webtroll

:oops: I wish you'd PM'd me that link tho HA!

12. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

I was in your boat, trying to find a P5 with easier to handle string spacing. I ended up trying the Carvin PB5, and am quite happy with it. It is only 1.76 at the nut as mentioned earlier with standard spacing at the bridge (18.5), and a very thin neck, so I like this set up much better than my Warwick now (which has closer strings at the bridge (16 I think)

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

The first generation Yamaha BB5000 had very narrow spacing.

14. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Current Yamaha BB 5-strings have 18mm at the bridge and are 42mm wide at the nut. I don't get on with the 47mm nut width Fender use!

15. Webtroll

Thanks for finding that, but it looks like it's a lined fretless according to the GC rep I spoke to. So close...

16. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

That looks like an aftermarket job too, given the dot inlays.

Best I can say is keep an eye out for one. You get lucky maybe once a year with the L5000.

17. darrenmt

darrenmt

TB forums. Where dreams almost come true