1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Is there a P5 with narrow spacing?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Webtroll, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Is there a traditional style passive single split P pickup bass with a 1.75" nut and bridge spacing around 18mm that are lightweight (no bridge pickup preferred)? The Fender and Squier P5s are spaced a bit wide for my tastes, and I don't have the funds to have a luthier build me one. I've thought about buying parts from Warmoth, but I'd hate to buy all the parts and put something together I'd lose a ton of money reselling if I don't like it. I've been looking at the Gibson EB 5 string basses but they're not what I want. Not bad, just not the style I want.

So, is there anything like that out there?

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    G&L L5000 if you can find one, but the string spacing was more like 16mm. They only made 400 of them and like a fool I sold mine.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    The L5000 is one of my dream basses, I'd love to have one with a rosewood fingerboard and a scythe headstock. I'd get used to the 16mm bridge and play with a pick and a grin.

5. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    How about the Squier P5 and put a Hipshot bridge on it and have a nut made to bring the strings closer at the nut?
    The stock bridge is 18.5

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Mine was a clear coat finish on ash body. Rosewood fretboard and sickle headstock. Man do I ever regret getting rid of that thing. GREAT tone!

7. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Delawhere
  8. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I've thought about it, that or getting one and having a neck made for it, but I do like the way thinner necks feel in my hand so I'm not sure narrower spacing on a wider neck would work out. *also* I prefer rosewood to maple. Still worth consideration.

9. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Not a fan of Carvin. Style wise I think they miss more than they hit. I've considered having one made, but haven't played one I've loved which isn't terribly inspiring.

10. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
    [​IMG]

11. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    :oops: I wish you'd PM'd me that link tho HA!

12. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

I was in your boat, trying to find a P5 with easier to handle string spacing. I ended up trying the Carvin PB5, and am quite happy with it. It is only 1.76 at the nut as mentioned earlier with standard spacing at the bridge (18.5), and a very thin neck, so I like this set up much better than my Warwick now (which has closer strings at the bridge (16 I think)

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The first generation Yamaha BB5000 had very narrow spacing.

14. Current Yamaha BB 5-strings have 18mm at the bridge and are 42mm wide at the nut. I don't get on with the 47mm nut width Fender use!

15. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for finding that, but it looks like it's a lined fretless according to the GC rep I spoke to. So close...

16. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

That looks like an aftermarket job too, given the dot inlays.

Best I can say is keep an eye out for one. You get lucky maybe once a year with the L5000.

17. darrenmt

darrenmt

Dec 15, 2004
    Australia

TB forums. Where dreams almost come true