Is there a SS Bass model that sounds like a P Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stewie26, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

This may be a long shot but here it goes. Are there any short scale basses, (30.5") that sound tonal wise close to a P Bass? I bought a Gibson SG and been having a blast with the short scale and fast neck. I am looking to add another SS scale bass to my herd but want to get the P Bass sound. Looking to spend around a grand, give or take a little. There is so much experience here in TB, I thought I would draw on it for some recommendations. The first thing that comes to my mind is a Mustang bass but have no idea of what type of tone it puts out. Thanks.
    EDIT: Also would like it to be made in USA cause we need more jobs here.
  2. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Squier Jaguar. Maybe not quite as low on the bottom end as a real P. But with a set of flats and some amp EQ settings it gets the job done for me. Its the only P bass I need, or own.
  3. Kryptos

Kryptos

Birdsong:

www.birdsongguitars.com/

Fender Mustang but they may well now be manufactured in Mexico, I do not know provenance.
  4. Stewie26

Wow. Never heard of them before. I checked out their website. Cool stuff. I would guess they are more expensive than my budget.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Mustangs have a P bass vibe on the attack but with a little shorter decay. I never had any problem getting a good P tone with a little EQ.
  7. backtobass

backtobass Supporting Member

The Fender Precision Bass Junior. Actually a little shorter than the normal SS bass. Full size P bass pick ups. No longer made but you can find them used. They were MIM and made between 2003/2004 I think, but I'm sure a used dealer or someone selling in the US needs the cash. Set up right (mine are) they play really great. Light weight, fun, punchy, and a great all around bass. I'm really happy with mine. Also a used one should be well under a grand.

I tried the Mustang and couldn't get the punch out I wanted. Squire ones are made in Indonesia I think, and the Fender Mustang is a RI CIJ.
  8. Stewie26

Interesting recommendation. I will reseach it. Do you recall the neck length?
  9. danomite64

danomite64 Supporting Member

10. Lauralena

Lauralena

I bought a vintage ('77 USA) 'Stang whose previous owner replaced the pickup with a Fender P-bass p.u.

This is as close to the sound of a P-bass as you can get without playing a 34" scale.

Should you go this route, you'll probably need to get a qualified repair person to rout out the body and install the P pickups. Of course this means they'll have to send a pickguard tracing to a company like WD so they can make you a custom pickguard with the overall shape for a Mustang but with a cutout for the P pickup.

I know what you're thinking: expensivo. But sometimes I see inexpensive used American Mustangs on eBay. And you can search the TB Classifieds as well.

BTW, I owned a 1969 Gibson EB-0 for 20 years. I inquired on this very site as to how to modify it to achieve the Fender sound I yearned for. Some good person gave me some GREAT advice, which I followed: I sold it and got my Fender Mustang bass instead.

[​IMG]
  11. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
    Squier VM SS Jag.