Is there a time when it IS too late to learn ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fearceol, Dec 13, 2013.

1. fearceol

fearceol

2. tekdiver500ft

tekdiver500ft I'm your Huckleberry... Supporting Member

3. fearceol

fearceol

Thanks.

Anyone else care to give "another" detailed response. :D
  4. johnnyzbass

johnnyzbass

It's never to late to learn, that's what keeps our brains active and hands and fingers flexible. Today there are lots of online lessons available, take a look at a few and choose one that suits you.
    I started by playing along with my favourite tunes back in the 60's.:bassist:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tekdiver500ft

tekdiver500ft I'm your Huckleberry... Supporting Member

When that time is varies with the individual. For me, I'll consider it too late to learn something new a couple days after they bury me. Although I would love to be proved wrong.
  7. pica

pica

I think the older you get the harder it is to learn, but it's never too late. I started at 40 and have to admit it's been a challenge at times.
  8. Mennolineum

Mennolineum

I think learning something new when you suffer from dementia is kinda hard.. but before then no i don't think Any moment is too late but you might want to set your goals differently.. for example my mom startend learning an instrument, she's 58:) my grandma wanted to learn djembé, she s 83:)
  9. spvmhc

spvmhc

That's the standard. I first picked up the bass when I retired. I play every day and enjoy it. Am I getting any better at it? Yes! Is learning harder for me than it used to be? Probably! Will I every earn a cent by playing professionally? No! But I refuse to accept that as a reason to give up.
  10. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    A lot of my clients with Teach Me Bass Guitar are guys and gals that are enjoying Second Life and want the bass to be part of their lives. They're having fun with it and learning, so I think the answer is it's only too late when you stop breathing or being able to use your hands or feet (Dave Pomeroy made me aware of an amazing bassist who plays with his feet because he has no arms!).
  11. tbear1776

tbear1776

I started playing at the young age of 65. Started with a great teacher and am having a blast. I play with a few friends at least once a month and have had a some paying gigs. Too late is when you're dead.
  12. lundborg

lundborg

13. Landy67

Landy67 Supporting Member

When I was younger I never had time to practice, so I never improved, got bored and gave up. Now I have more time to practice and more money to buy good quality equipment. I actually look forward to practice. There are some benefits to starting later in life.

I found a teacher that's teaching me music theory and technique. I find both to be fascinating (even if I get things wrong) The thing is I'm learning and having fun. And with the theory behind me I understand music more.
  14. fearceol

fearceol

Good point. There is a saying that goes..."use it or lose it", i.e. when we reach a certain age it is important to keep active both mentally and physically to slow down the ageing process. Surely it is a great thing to be able to do this and have fun doing so.
  15. cbrophy

cbrophy

I started to learn how to play the bass at 45. Had no problems learning how to do that. What I lack is the 10,000hrs needed to become an expert!
  16. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

i would say, until poor physicality inhibits your learning (to play bass), it is not too late.

but to answer the op's question whether he meant it this way or not, I hope to be learning until the day I die. Knowledge is what we as humans thrive on, IMO, and it is never too late to learn.
  17. Marcury

Marcury High and Low Supporting Member

I'm 56 been playing bass since high school give or take a few years. I never learned more than a few barre chords on guitar. Two years ago I decided i wanted to learn fingerpicking on guitar. I'm thrilled with my progress. So in my experience no it's never too late; unless you believe it is in which case self-fulfilling prophecy is probably the issue.
  18. stratovani

stratovani

Personally I think that since I'm just a couple of months away from 60 it's too late for me to be the next Victor Wooten or Jaco Pastorius, but that only means that my goals have to be realistic. So I strive to be the best bass player I can possibly be, locking in with the drummer to make a solid rhythm section, keeping time the best I can, and serving the song. I can't be Hadrien Feraud, but I can be Ron Blair! :bassist:
  19. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

When you lose your faculties or use of your hands. That's it.
  20. skwee

skwee

Is it ever too late to learn? No No No a thousand times no.
  21. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Yes.

For a guy like me who had re-constructive surgery in his right hand, I will inevitably be getting arthritis in my right hand. Once it becomes hard to play it would be pointless to learn.

I would like to think I would have acquired enough hobbies and interests by that time to keep me occupied.