1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Is there an Austin Bassist Group?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BigEarl, Nov 8, 2012.

1. BigEarl

BigEarl

I've been scouring TB looking for an Austin Bassist support group of dudes and dudettes who swing the thudstick (as Chef calls it) in the ATX, and so far, nuttin'.

Does anyone know of an existing group?

And if not, is anyone interested in being in a group like that?

And if not ...carrots!
  2. darius8

darius8

3. spindoc

spindoc Supporting Member

I'll be in Austin for the USGP this weekend, does that count?

Hey, while I'm there, have you got any tips for places to eat, or places to go see music this Fri/Sat/Sun night?
  4. waynobass

waynobass Supporting Member

We Austinites are not joiners.

Spindoc, good luck with traffic at the Formula 1 race. It will likely be a nightmare. (Unless you're one of the bigwigs flown in by helicopter.)
  5. spindoc

Thanks wayno. We're staying in Lakeline and will be taking a shuttle from the airport to get to the track. Likewise we'll be taking the MetroRail to get to and from downtown each night. Hopefully this will keep us from getting too bothered by traffic.

Have you got any suggestions about favorite places in town, or any other tips about visiting?
  6. BigEarl

BigEarl

Wow, I gave up on this thread and y'all came out of the woodwork!

Agreed, wayno, we are not joiners, that why I wanted to START the group! LOL! (...but then again, no one would join after I did. Now I'm sad and maybe a little embarrased.)

Yes,spindoc, we are all expecting a ratcheting of the pain that already exists when it comes to Austin and Traffic in reagards to F1.

Great for Austin, horrible if you're a Southie trying to get to a gig!
  7. Richard_P_Harve

Richard_P_Harve

Asking where to listen to music in Austin, that's like asking where to find a fish at a fish farm...it's called 6th Street :) Simply one of my all time favorite places, ever.
  8. spindoc

OK, can't wait!
  9. bkirk

bkirk

spindoc, there are also four outdoor stages near 3rd and Congress (adjacent to the Warehouse District) that will have a bunch of free shows each night. Some local acts, some regional/national. I might even talk myself into going downtown to catch Ivan Neville's Dumpstaphunk on Friday.
    Check this site for more info. http://austinfanfest.com/
    Enjoy Austin and F1 and hope MetroRail works out.
    BK
  10. spindoc

Thanks BK. Yeah I'll probably be in the thick of the Fanfest stuff. Also plan on hitting Antone's Friday night and The Belmont Saturday night for free shows (the latter featuring TB member GriffinREX on bass). And I just found out Collective Soul's playing at the new amphitheater at the track late Saturday afternoon after the qualifying and support races are done. Definitely stoked!