Is there an effect pedal that can...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mr_flood, Jan 17, 2014.

1. mr_flood

mr_flood Supporting Member

...make my bass take up more 'space'?

We have one electric guitar player and he mostly plays leads. There are many times when I'm playing root chords while he's strumming out a lead and we would really like it if the bass could take up some of the space that a rhythm guitar would normally fill. I can do distortion but that's not the kind of fill that I want all the time.

Is there a pedal, or multiple pedals, that can do that?
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

EQ?

It might help if you describe what you have in mind
  3. MagicMan_841

MagicMan_841 Supporting Member

Try a short delay or a reverb.
  4. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I too have to fill sonic space in a three piece and I have an arsenal of effects to do this with. Of course my main go-to is OD/dist. I use an OCD that really does a great job at doing this especially if its stacked with my ODB3. Fuzz, I use the DG duality, also does a very fine job. If, as you said, dont want to go the dirt route, have you thought about an octave pedal? this will thicken up your low end with an either higher and or lower octave of your bass signal. Paired with fuzz or dist, its magic at times. I also will use chorus and flanger and reverb to fill space in quieter parts. Even a delay set right can help you fill space. There are endless possibilities to accomplish what youre asking. I would suggest a Zoom ms60b or a 70cdr. Or maybe even a B3, all these will help you get to where you want to be with multiple effects. Also, check out Source Audio Soundblox series 2 pedals. They look to be a really good way to go for certain things. I think dirt + octave would be the best way to start what youre trying to accomplish.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Try the Organizer. I want one but can't swing so you'll have to get one and tell me what you think of it.
  7. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

I use a Boss LS-2 with an octave fuzz(Gnomeratron VTF)in the loop A and nothing in loop B. If you run the LS-2 in A+B mode you get your clean signal running parallel to the octave up fuzz. Fills up space quite nicely. There a lot of different ways you could do this. This is just stuff I have so that's how go about it.
  8. mr_flood

mr_flood Supporting Member

Awesome, thanks man. I had an idea that some of those effects might work so having you say they will shows me what to start looking at.

9. Frohman

Frohman

I know this is unheard of on talkbass, but... play MORE. Sorry to say, but every great rock power trio during the ages has had a busy rythm section. Sure, you can fill the frequiencies with fuzz and octaves, reverb, chorus, etc., but in the end, the music will still miss some of that ferocious energy. I use a lot of effects in my trio, and the drummer and I still play busy to make it sound really energetic when the guitarist goes out on a lead run.
  10. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Media:
    Akai Unibass. Or an overdrive with a clean blend can go along way. Stacking those sounds definitely fills space. Micro Pog for some upper octave stuff might work, but it'll sound digital. Stacking the Pog with a dirt pedal sounds great though.
  11. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

I would like the Fishman Fission pedal but I don't want to pay $300 for it, especially since I haven't heard it before. Anyways, it might be worth a try, although you don't necessarily want distortion.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/fishman-fission-bass-powerchord-octave-bass-effects-pedal

There's a thread in Live Sound called "A bass pedal that will replace my rhythm guitarist" that has some suggestions...

I played in a trio like that really early on where the guitarist played about as much rhythm as B.B. King! I ended up writing very distinctive bass parts where the role was half bass and half rhythm. Lots of chords and when doing regular bass lines I added in a lot of octaves like Billy Sheehan does when he's doing the "bass-snare" thingy.
  12. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

Distortion or fuzz with a CLEAN BLEND. It will keep the original sound of your bass and then add another layer that should fill up a bit. I also have used a Micro POG for this with a bit of octave up and a bit of octave down. Works well but is a pretty in your face tone. Preamp pedal might be worth a shot as well. Kick on to bump up the volume and tone and then kick off to fade back into the mix a bit.
  13. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

I do nearly the exact same thing as gregmon79 :)

I stack a Wampler Euphoria & a modded ODB3 using a Badger Schism. This plus Flanger, chorus, reverb & delay in varying amounts depending on the song really make the bass "wide" as you said.

The ODB3 drives the flanger & or chorus in one channel of the schism & I have the Euphoria driving a EHX Micropog into a MS-50g in the other the 50g is usually set on delay or reverb or both. With this setup I can get my bass to reasonably sound like a bass & guitar not just a bass with dirt on it.

I have a MS-60b as well but it is in front of everything & it is set for Compression & Q-tron :)
  14. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

I disagree with you on this .... I have played mostly in 3 piece bands my whole career & I have found being too busy can "gut" a band if your not careful.
  15. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

I couldn't agree with this more! I'm known as one of the more fuzz happy guys on this board, but this is one of the keys to a power trio. The important thing to keep in mind is to also play tastefully. Playing busy is a lot of fun but speaking as a player in a duo (piano and bass with programmed drums) you can have the power to provide all of the tags and hooks in the music while your guitarist is playing lead all of the time. Experiment with the effects for sure, but use your position to empower your role in the ensemble, as well. ;)
  16. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

If you also listen to some of the more popular power trios, most of them don't have a whole bunch of effects on bass and they still sound plenty full.

I play in a power trio and my general tone fills in the space just fine. It's thick, meaty, awesomeness. I like to use my effects to color certain sections of songs but I don't rely on them for a meat & potatoes tone.
  17. gricko

gricko

+1mil post #8

laying effect on thin line is one solution. try and use the situation in your advantage and write some great lines. listen a bit to minutemen how d.boon intentionally plays very trebly lines to make space for watt.
  18. Twocan

Twocan Supporting Member

I achieved with a minimal setting on my Corona Chorus.
  19. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

instead of cluttering the mix with delay or other effects, perhaps a different approach...
    try playing "lead bass" like Dusty Hill. ? just a thought.
  20. waveman

waveman Supporting Member

I play a three piece plus a singer. I essentially do this... like Frohman said play more. What I do is add extra octave notes in some places, steal keyboard/piano/synth lines in others, play the guitar rhythm parts as well without trying to be overly busy or dismissing essential simplistic bass lines. I only use effects when copping synth lines or dirty bass lines, but not always. I think adding reverb, delay, and/or chorus can help with cleaner lines, but I find that it really just gets in the way of my playing, mostly, unless a particular bass line calls for it.
  21. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I've only been part of three pieces of a three piece and a singer. There's a difference between playing busy, playing too much or just playing for the sake to play. You have to pick and choose your times to shine if you will. It takes time to figure it out sometimes. My band writes songs together after me or the guitarist brings a main idea to the table. It'll morph in the month or so after we've worked on it. Sometimes I find busier lines to play, sometimes I find simplicity is key. The most important part is to step back and listen after the basic structure has taken hold.