Is there any word about the SBMM SB14?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Youngspanion

Youngspanion

I recently noticed that the SBMM SB14 has been taken off the Sterling by Musicman website and I am wondering if anyone can say that this bass has been discontinued and why? After falling in love with the Ray34 ca, I have my sights set on more SBMM goodness.
  2. Thisguy

Thisguy

Haven't heard anything, but it does make me glad I snatched up an SB14 when I did.
  3. Youngspanion

Youngspanion

What color SB14 Guy?
  4. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Media:
    I have a black SBMM SB14 I'm getting ready to part ways with...

[​IMG]
  5. Youngspanion

Youngspanion

Thats a nice looking bass. Honeymoon is over?
  6. Woofer

Woofer

No S.U.B. SB4 either. Looks like it's Stingray or nothing. Too bad, guess they're off my radar now.
  7. SunnBass

Media:
    Ok, here's the story.
    I've always wanted a MM and I used a tax refund to buy this one...two years ago I think it was. Anyways, I loved it right out of the box and it plays great. Well, my setup at the time had me playing it thru an original 1972 Sunn O))) Model-T and Sunn O))) 215. The next part is a long story so we'll jump to: I bought the GK rig seen in the picture. This bass is just too hot for the front end and I just don't want to adjust the volume on my bass to keep the pre-amp from clipping (I know, I know...but I just don't want to) and I absolutely refuse to use the input pad (it kills sooo much tone and volume). So anyways I now play Fender or Squier P/J basses exclusively. They seem to be made for me and tonally suit my needs perfectly.
    Now the SB 14 lives at my house, hanging on the wall. I never play it. It's seen maybe 4 practices and 2 shows. It just seems like a waste to hold on to if I'm not using it.
    So I would love to see it go to a friend or a TB'er.
  8. Youngspanion

Youngspanion

You should put her up on the for sale in the Classifieds. I bet she's a great bass.
  9. Thisguy

Thisguy

Two tone burst.
  10. Thisguy

Thisguy

You've got me very nervous now. I have a 700rb and one 212 neo on the way, with another 212 coming later, so pretty much the rig you have. :help:
  11. SunnBass

Media:
    Well, maybe this will help:
    I am a very heavy handed, aggressive pick player.
    I use a VT Bass pedal set fairly aggressively for my pre-amp.
    I always (it's just what I do) run my bass's volume dimed.
    I did adjust the tone on this bass as they will actually boost.
    I am extremely paranoid about damaging my gear.
  12. Thisguy

Thisguy

Nope :crying:

I'm a very heavy handed finger player, that plays with a pick when the song calls for it.
    I'm safe on the pedal part.
    I always run my bass's volume dimed as well. Just what I've done for over twenty years.
    I adjust the tone on min as well.
    I'm also very paranoid about damaging gear as well.

Maybe not using the VT pedal will save me. Guess I'll be seeing pretty soon. :bassist:
  13. SunnBass

Media:
    Just know that the knob labeled input on your 700 adjusts volume post input, so if clipping ensues, the db pad button is the only option.
    That just wasn't going to cut it for me since I have to be able to cut thru two drummers, a Marshall 800 412 & 115 guitar stack, and stereo run keyboards (he has an Ampeg 810 on either side of the stage). And not just cut thru but be clearly heard.
  14. Thisguy

Thisguy

Thanks for the heads up! :)
  15. Youngspanion

Youngspanion

16. jebersole

jebersole

Gosh, I hope not!

I'm struggling right now with the realization that a recently purchased MM Sterling doesn't setup as well or sound as nice as a used SB14 I picked up last year.

I bought the SB14 because, many moons ago, I had a USA Sterling, and wanted another one, but didn't want to shell out the cash considering how fickle I can be about basses.

I LOVE the SB14, and figured, OK, I'll take the plunge again with confidence, and buy a new USA Sterling.

Well, I don't know if it's the basswood or the pickup/preamp, but the sb14 just sounds better to me. It holds its tone better after the new string zing wears off, and the string action is right where I want it.

If they did/do discontinue the SB14, I need to pick up another used one as a backup.

BTW, has anyone else A/B'ed the SB14 with the USA Sterling and came to the same conclusion?