Is there anyone from the UK who can explain something to me?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ironbar, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Ironbar

Ironbar

First off, I LOVE some of your TV shows. You guys produce some shows that truly are superior to anything Hollywood has to offer.

That said, what the hell is up with the LENGTH of your TV series? One of my fav British TV from years back- Coupling. First series, FIVE episodes long. Hells bells, five episodes doesn't even get us to Thanksgiving here in America. Do you air these episodes once a week or once a month and then fill in the rest with war documentaries? And more recently, shows like Downton Abbey and Mr. Selfrige, great shows- eight or nine episodes long. What is up with that??

2. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

Most of the shows are written by one or two individuals. In the US, shows tend to be written by large teams.

Classic examples include modern Doctor Who, Sherlock, and obviously Downton Abbey. All written very small teams or individuals. Fawlty Towers only consists of twelve episodes in total.

It's as simple as that.

3. SidMau

SidMau

Also, keep in mind that technology here is about a decade or two behind the United States, so everything takes longer and is ultimately less efficient

4. GrumpiusMaximus

...how? The vast majority of programs are digitally shot and edited. Just with fewer people.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

7. Milk

Milk

Yeah. I've said in a past thread before how i LOVE this about british shows because they just don't have seasons of 24 episodes and stretch things and completely lose the plot halfway like the vast majority of american tv shows do. I WISH the british had made Lost. It would have been like 3 or 4 seasons of 6 episodes and just enough and would have tied all lose ends nicely. Instead of going on for 3 seasons too many and forgetting to tie lose ends, and adding characters we don't give a **** about just to stretch it... in america, you have to squeeze it dry until there's not a cent left to be made out of it and everybody has stopped caring... sure theres been exceptions but so many shows just do lose it after one or two good seasons. there's usually only so far you can stretch the basic premise of a show.

It has to be said, some american tv shows aim for syndication so they produce as many episodes as possible.

8. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Fawlty Towers is considered the only series in the history of television that never jumped the shark.

9. GrumpiusMaximus

Every single episode is a classic.

I'll say the same for Blackadder from the second series onwards. In fact, I'm watching that right now.

10. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

http://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/tv/top/

Most of the true classics on this list, of which there are many, ran to no more than 2 or 3 seasons.

By and large, we know when to go out on a high and not flog a dead horse.

11. GrumpiusMaximus

I'm just glad they killed 'The Wright Way'. That was truly abysmal.

12. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

So, you're saying that we only have about three good episodes in a year, across the board? I'd have to agree with you.

13. speak2planets

speak2planets Supporting Member

Just to bring it up, has anyone else checked out "Orphan Black" on BBC America? The first season ended a little while ago and the show is amazing. Just curious if anyone else has seen it

14. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

More that the shows get diluted and stretched out/become tired quicker.

Don't get me wrong, there are still some stinkers produced here and some great TV in the US (i.e. Breaking Bad).

15. GrumpiusMaximus

The best US TV is as good and often better than what we in the UK produce. Both have equal validity and both produce dross. With that said, I've never particularly enjoyed many US sitcoms (with the exception of Arrested Development and Curb Your Enthusiasm) but no doubt there are many that I haven't seen.

The US produced 'The Wire', 'Breaking Bad', etc, etc. Outstanding programs.

Totally in agreement with you, Mohawk.

16. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Media:
    Cool list.
    #31 - The Young Ones is one of my favorite shows of all time.

17. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

His dry, British sense of humour was lost on you.

Like others said, quality over quantity. US network TV shows tend to milk it for all it's worth. HBO seems to do it right: Five or six seasons, 10-12 episodes per season, go out on a high note.

18. GrumpiusMaximus

As a Brit, I am deeply ashamed.

To be fair, in large parts of Norfolk, fire is considered the height of sophistication.

19. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Being human is one of my.recent favs. I refuse to watch the American version- because Mitchell and Herrick were so good who would want to see what amounts to a spinoff?

20. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I really enjoyed Arrested Development for the first few seasons, however, the newer ones, particularly the latest one, released by Netflix was terrible.

On saying that, Orange is the new black, also released by Netflix, is terrific! Really looking forward to season 2.

21. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I'm generally not a fan of the US remakes, they often miss the tone and aren't cast near as well.

The Red Dwarf pilot is a prime example of badness, the US version of The Inbetweeners was also terrible.