Is there anything else similar to the DiMarzio Model J?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JimmyThunder, Mar 30, 2014.

1. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

I have run DiMarzio Model J's in my #1 for years and absolutely love the sound. It's atypical fatness is perfection, to me.

My #2 "backup bass" slot is ever-rotating, a combination of G.A.S. lust and never finding anything I like nearly as much as my #1. I have recently come to the conclusion that even though I TELL MYSELF I want the tonal variety of having a slightly different setup for #2, any traditional j-bass pickup I have used just sounds weak and shallow to my ear. I guess the best of the bunch was the SD Quarter Pounder but.....not quite fat enough.

I am almost at the point where I will break down and just buy another set of Model J's...but before I admit defeat, I am looking to y'all for help. Is there anything else PASSIVE out there with the fat bottom and low-mid bump that the Model J's offer?
  2. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Probably but why mess with something you like?
    You can also get into the debate of wood species, density, and fretboard of the #2 bass vs. the #1 :meh:
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If there is another pickup like the Model J, I haven't found it.
  4. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl

I have 2 regrets regarding DiMarzio Js:

1) DiMarzio does not make a 5-string version

2) When I did use DiMarzio Js playing 4-string electric bass, I used them in series wiring configuration. In hind sight, I would have wired them in parallel, with series activation switches, much like a Ken Smith setup. My intuition is that this would be an absolute killer combo, paired with a decent 3-band preamp. Sadly, I won't be able to test my theory, because I do not forsee going back to 4 strings (just lovin' that low B string for many years).

I tried several aftermarket pickup setups before using Dimarzio Js. In that experience there was nothing else like them.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

I admittedly am more of a p guy , but I have 3 Js , all set up differently . One of my fret less has Js and a Retro j preamp and is probably one of the best sounding basses I own . They are hard to beat .
  7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Me neither. IMO DiMarzio's Model-J is a great pickup; it gives the J-Bass sound a bit more 'Meat'. Kind of halfway between a Jazz and a Precision. -And it's priced right, IMO.
  8. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

Guess I'm outta luck then. Perhaps I can try putting a Model J in the neck (which I heavily favor) and something different in the bridge for just a 'spice' of....whatever it is I am hoping for
  9. xroads

xroads

Yes to this. Pretty sad...
  10. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

What about the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickups?

Delano pickups are meant to be big sounding too.

(I haven't used either, though I do love my Model P+J setup ;) )
  11. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I haven't tried the model J, but what you are describing sounds alot like the Rio Grande, Muy Grandes.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    They don't sound like Model J's at all.
  13. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl

Ultra Jazz: U represents EQ mid scoop, the opposite of Model J's mid-enhanced tonality
  14. the baint

the baint Supporting Member

I was about to start a thread, but since 5 strings were mentioned I thought I would just tag along here (OP, ask me to move to another thread if you want).

Model Js don’t come in 5 string, unfortunately. What sounds similar, still hum-cancels, and in 5?
  15. xroads

xroads

Good question...Aguilar and Nordstrand make some split coils for a 5-string Jazz.
    Otherwise...no idea.
  16. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

I'm not sure how close they are to the Model J, but the Barden rails humbuckers definitely added thickness and punch to my MIA Jazz V, so they might be a good choice. Despite the humbucker configuration, they produce lots of treble -- I turn my tone control down about as much as I did with other pickups. They're very expensive, but also very good IMO.