1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Is there learn by ear software?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by sixx788, Dec 17, 2013.

1. sixx788

sixx788

Does anyone know if there are any apps or software that can help when I am learning a bass line? Looking for something that takes out all other instruments so I can hear only the bass line. Or slows it down, loops it. Or anything that may tell me what is being played? Sometimes I need to learn a song and just don't have the time to try to figure everything out.
  2. ko stradivarius

ko stradivarius

I use Amazing Slow Downer from Roni Music on my PC. It does most of what you ask. well you can attempt to EQ out other instruments and theres no transcription. They have Android and Apple versions too.
  3. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Yes there are many software programs that do what you want. Check this one out. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Have you thought about looking for the chord progression for the song in question? Google; guitar chords, "name of the song". For example: http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/m/misc_christmas/hark_the_herald_angels_sing_ver3_crd.htm Don't like it in G, there is a transpose button on the left hand side of the screen, put it in what ever key you like.

That's what I do and then let the chord's tones be my bass line. Root on one, need more? Add a 5 , i.e. R-5-R-5, still need more add the 8, R-5-8-5. That R-5-8-5 is about as generic fit anywhere as you can get. Yes with a diminished chord it needs a b5.
    I seldom play the exact bass line a specific artist used for a song. This is my interpretation of the song and I do it this way. I understand some can not function this way and need to be exact.

Google can find a chord progression to most any song. Yes it may not be the exact notes the original artist used. But, it is someone's best attempt to do that. That is close enough for me, if I do not like what is there I change it. Save a lot of time this way. Put a chord chart in front of me showing the lyrics, so I know when to change chords and I can play the song after looking over the chart for a couple of minutes. Lock in with the kick drum and play as many of the chord's tones as the song dictates.

Root on one, or root on one and three. Root on one and 5 on three. Need more the 8 will work, still need more the correct 3 and 7 will fill out a measure for you. Heck just roots will groove.

Google can find software to slow down the song to help you pick out the bass line notes. One of them I think is called Slowdowner, or something like that. See what Google can call up. http://www.pitch-switch.com/Feature...=slow downer&gclid=CJ-gmvLFuLsCFShk7Aod208AQw

Have fun.
  4. ics1974

ics1974

Try playing the song on every music device you own. One may bring out the bass frequencies of the song better then the others. Also try different speakers and headphones.
  5. Baer

Baer

I use a DAW called Reaper. With it you can insert markers in precise locations, define loop sections, apply EQ to enhance the bass frequencies, and most importantly, slow it down without affecting the pitch. You can also change the pitch without slowing it down if your band plays a song in a different key than the original. It's not freeware, but it is very inexpensive for what it is.