Is there software that will help you isolate parts to pick out tabs?

Discussion in 'Tablature [BG]' started by EmpressNorton, Jan 7, 2013.

1. EmpressNorton

EmpressNorton

Just what it says above. All I've ever tried to do when listening for a part is to use the iTunes equalizer to bring up the bass part. It occurred to me there might very well be software out there that isolates the various parts even better. Does anyone know of anything?
  2. EmpressNorton

EmpressNorton

Aha - I thought I'd searched for a thread on this already before I posted but it seems I didn't try hard enough. After I posted I found a previous thread with a lot of good tips on picking out parts, some software-based and some not. If anyone has any updates on the software front (this is a now-nearly-3-year-old post I'm linking to and technology moves like the wind), feel free to add any breakthroughs you know about. ;)

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f22/technique-picking-out-bass-lines-630959/
  3. plainman

plainman

I use audacity. You can slow it down without changing the pitch. You can also play around with the spectrum analyzer, sometimes it can help you pick out individual notes. You highlight the part of the wave containing the note you want and go to Analyze -> Plot Spectrum, and if you are really lucky, there will be a big peak somewhere and when you put your cursor on it, you should see the note down below the graph. There's probably better ways to do that, but it has worked for me a few times.
  4. Ricnroll

Ricnroll

I use "Transcribe!" http://www.seventhstring.com/

It's got a lot of great tools for trying to isolate parts. Doubling the pitch is often helpful for me if the bass is buried in the mix.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. vinny

vinny

+1 for Transcribe.
  7. jeepin_jer1

jeepin_jer1

Amazing Slow Downer!
  8. lsabina

lsabina Supporting Member

9. EmpressNorton

EmpressNorton

All awesome responses! :hyper: Thanks so much! In the meantime I tried out Audacity just for slowing down a part while I learned it and immediately loved that aspect of it. I'm going to check out the other stuff that was recommended. Keep any tips coming if you got 'em!
  10. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

+2 for Song Surgeon
    Free, time limited fully working demo. Saves/exports/converts CD,.mp3, .wav, internet audio,etc. for learning purposes.
  11. Woody J

Woody J

+1 for Amazing Slow Downer. Not only can you slow down a song without changing the pitch, but you can also maintain the same tempo and change the pitch. If I find it difficult to hear the bass part, I'll raise the pitch several tones. I find the bass more audible at a higher pitch. Then you just transpose the part.
  12. Dixon Steele

Dixon Steele

I use transcribe as well. Transpose the pitch up an octave and slow it down for the fast parts, this makes the bassline really stand out. I find it very easy to pick out the bassline using that tool, but I'm sure any tool that can slow down the track (Without changing the pitch), and change the pitch is just as good.
  13. BassKraz

BassKraz Supporting Member

I agree with ASD. Although the software costs 50.00 you can use the EQ to back off the mids and highs to help minimize the other instruments. What I like about it is when you open it you also open your iTunes song list and simply grab any song and drag it into the ASD song box and you're good to go. Very simple.