1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Is there such a thing as too much mwah?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ncapone, Jan 12, 2014.

1. ncapone

ncapone

If your action is set low enough that every note mwahs all the time, could that be a bad thing?
  2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

Playing technique should be able to adjust for that, along with some tone roll off.

If you want to hear lots of mwah check out a Rick Turner Renaissance bass!
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Absolutely there can be too much of it! I'm rather annoyed by "mwah," personally. I'm more of a "blang" fan.
  4. ncapone

ncapone

You're right. That does have a lot of mwah!
  5. Jeff Scott

Is that what you have? I used to own a RB5FL but now I have a RB4FL. :cool:
  6. ncapone

ncapone

No, I'm using a Jazz Bass. Seemed extra mwah-y tonight.
  7. Jeff Scott

It's almost Full Mwah, you know? :bag:
  8. CDweller

CDweller Gold Supporting Member

I just got my John Kallas fretless Jazz back from Michael Pedula, who coated the formerly bare ebony fingerboard. I need more mwah. How can I get that?
  9. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Love it! I like mwah in certain situations, but I really like higher action, so I get my mwah when I want it by forcing it out of the notes with a slide or vibrato rather than by letting the instrument do it for me. So, it's more of a growl than a mwah, but who wants to bicker about the definition of those terms?

But too much mwah can be cloying, unless you're doing a recording for the weather channel or Otis Elevator Corp. Well, it's still cloying in that context, but at least it's genre-appropriate. :smug: