1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Is thetopguitars.com legit?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by southpaw723, Dec 14, 2013.

1. southpaw723

southpaw723

I've been looking on the web for some kind of cheaper Rickenbacker 4003 style bass and I came across thetopguitars.com. I'm a lefty and it was weird to see that they have many different finishes for these Rickenbacker basses. I'm not too sure that these are real Rickenbackers though considering they were $420.00. They say Rickenbacker on the headstock, but I think there is something fishy going on here. Anybody have any experience with this website or any of their products?:meh:
  2. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money... Supporting Member

I have no experience with the web site. But at that price you can be sure they are not real Rickenbackers. The company behind the web site is a consortium of Chinese factories. I would bet they are not authorized sellers of Rickenbacker basses.
  3. elgecko

elgecko

Faker than a $3 bill!
  4. southpaw723

southpaw723

5. RxFunk

RxFunk

Definitely fake.
  6. southpaw723

southpaw723

I know it's not a real Rick now but do you think it is a safe site to order from?
  7. thebrian

thebrian Still can't think of anything good to put here. Supporting Member

I would never support a business that, just because they are overseas, feels it's perfectly ok to steal another company's trademarked design and profit on it. Shame on people for buying this 2nd hand crap. And that's exactly what it is. Crap.
  8. TinyE

TinyE Supporting Member

Look at the pickup cover and bridge. They look very cheap. I've seen much higher quality chickens than these for the same price or less
  9. TinyE

TinyE Supporting Member

I took one to the cart. They knock 100 off for pre - Christmas. That actually may not be a bad deal if they don't sound like a flat tire at 50 mph
  10. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Levy's Leathers
    did you read the description on that rick?

"First Class Guitar , Very Good Company, I Would buy from this Company again"

anyone who uses a space BEFORE a comma is a robot.
  11. southpaw723

southpaw723

I'm pretty sure the inlays on the fretboard are upside down.....
  12. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

Considering this is a website/company that lies about selling counterfeit merchandise, my first instinct would be to say no, it probably is not a safe site to order from.
  13. southpaw723

southpaw723

Yeah, I'm definately not going to order from them.
  14. bassbenj

bassbenj

That's basically it. I've bought a couple of cheapo Chinese instruments just for fun (AK47 Guitar, 6 string fretless ABG) and my warning is not to expect much, Chances are they won't even work properly without a rework and even then the materials will be so cheap as to make it not worth the effort...well sort of.

What I mean is that if you are looking at this as a cheap way to get even an approximation to a real Ric bass, forget it. Everything will just be too shoddy and cheap to even be possible to seriously upgrade.

On the other hand, if you just want an educational project where the money is spent to just have something to saw and drill on to find out "what is it with a Ric anyway?" then these fill the bill. Or as in the case of my AK47 guitar you just want it for looks and realize it's just a stage prop, well that's fine too.

But as a warning let me say that my 6 string ABG came defective where the B string can't be heard through the pickup at all and serious mods by me only made it slightly better. serious design flaws somewhere. Construction was OK, but I had to refinish the entire instrument. Truss rod would not adjust enought to give a decently low action. Personally I loved the concept of a 6 string ABG and the education it provided easily justified spending a couple of hundred bucks to give me the experience.

But a Chinese deal of the century. Don't kid yourself.
  15. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    ^^ Amen. Everything you need to know right there.
  16. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

My REAL Ric 4003 is issue-fraught enough as it is, thank you very much.
  17. JACink

JACink

Did you see the list of "authorised USA brands" they have? :eyebrow: