1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Is this 2nd hand Sheehan bass worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave1974, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Dave1974

Dave1974

This as been in my local pawn shop for a few months now and they keep reducing it, not sure about the bridge.

[​IMG]

2. Dave1974

Dave1974

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

It's missing the neck pickup I'm not sure how much they want to let you know if it's a good deal or not have you played it?

4. Dave1974

Dave1974

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Need to be a supporting member to get estimates anyway.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Looks right by me... that's what the bridge on the Attitude Limited II looks like, not to mention the neck pickup should be there... on the Limited II it's covered by a piece of pearloid pick guard.

8. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

The neck pickup is there. It's covered by that pickguard material.

£800?? And that's a many times reduced price?? Sheesh... what were they asking before? In the US that's a $900 bass.

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

That's weird do do you have the option to add the neck pickup?if not that's ugly and a new pickguard without that patch piece would look better I thought someone did a homemade job.

10. Bobster

Bobster

11. tplyons

tplyons

You don't need to add it... it's under that piece of pickguard material.

12. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington

I had a model years ago where the neck pickup was mounted under a one piece pickguard, which in turn became warped and looked horrible. This solution looks a tad better.

Having said that, I'd pass on this bass. I defer to smcd's post. I just checked the conversion, it's a little over $1300. For that I'd expect it to be show ready, not setup to pawn shop standards with worn out strings and fret gunk. The past owner just handed it over like it was someone else's issue now.

13. SirMjac28

I see it's like a wooden pickup cover that's weird.

14. mulambo

mulambo

great bass, amazing sound, quite heavy, some neck dive.

15. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

That's the stock bridge, just very worn. The neck pickup is certainly there. That's exactly how they came from the factory.

The price is very high. That's over $1300!

It's just a piece of pickguard material over the pickup. On Billy's actual bass he has the same material over his middle pickup too.

16. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

In France, a brand new Sheehan bass is 1859 Euros which comes out to 1546 Sterling pounds or US$2535....
    So the used price of 799 pounds ($1310) seems to be pretty good for a used bass considering the price for a new one over there.
    A lot to pay for a bass but it is what it is if you're after this particular model.

http://en.euroguitar.com/bass/yamaha/attitude-ltd-ii/123983.html

17. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

There's a straight up Attitude Custom on eBay Australia with a starting bid of AU$700. I'm not suggesting you buy it, but I'd say the price they're asking is pretty good for a Sheehan.

18. remainthesame

remainthesame

You ask "is it worth it?"

To me, no. I wouldn't pay a dime for a sheehan bass. Nothing against sheehan or yamaha but I do not like this particular instrument.

If you asked "is this a fair price" I'd say that you have to be a supporting member to ask such a question.

19. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

The TB rules only apply to non-members asking "how much is it worth" with the aim of selling. The OP is looking at buying.

I'm with you on the Sheehan bass, though. I love the concept and was really intrigued by the design. I also like the looks. But when I played one in GC a few years back I really disliked it. It had a baseball bat neck, was quite heavy, and I thought the sound was unremarkable.

20. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

I dig the tone. That neck pickup fattens the P tone just nicely, IMO. All soft and pillowy like.

Sounds great in this clip:

21. redhed

redhed TUBE LOVER! Gold Supporting Member

Awesome bass! I would buy it if checks out OK.