Is this '63 Fender P real?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MuthaFunk, Dec 11, 2012.

1. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nothing stands out as odd to me.
  3. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

The guy spells Precision kinda odd.
  4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Here is info from one of the more popular detail sites:

"Stratocaster: thin "spaghetti" logo from 1954 to fall 1964. Larger gold "transition" logo from fall 1964 till 1967.
    the Pbass, Jazzmaster followed this:"
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bongolation

Bongolation

The pickguard seems off for an L-Series, but the fingerboard lamination (a quick way to spot a fake) is right. The pictures aren't good enough to judge on much more beyond that.
  7. Caca de Kick

The pickguard is not a Fender. To me it looks like a plastic faux gold-yellow thing.
  8. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

The neck, tuners and neckplate look legit. The pickguard looks strange. I'd want to look behind the pickups and into the control cavity of the body. Either way it looks like it was stripped down to bare wood and hasn't been played much since. The photos aren't all that great.
  9. Bongolation

Bongolation

I was thinking a bad shot of an earlier anodized one, but didn't pay attention.

The part that gets me is that the seller is putting an awful lot of emphasis on what appears to be a genuine neck (note fade from removed hootenanny knob), while flying past a really dubious body situation.

Case and neck look real. Dunno anything else without better pictures.
  10. spaz21387

spaz21387

looks pretty legit to me. The body was probably stripped and cleared. The pickguard looks odd but still could be anodized.
  11. lorianb

lorianb

If it's all legit, it's a shame to they touched the body at all. The routings for pickups, etc will tell a trained eye whether this body is a match. I'd take it to a shop that knows vintage instruments and fork out a couple of bucks before making an offer or buying. Good luck.
  12. lorianb

lorianb

Just noticed that a '64 P owns your ass - taking a peek yourself will probably do the trick then. As for headstock, people here might be able to guide you.

ps - I'm jealous now... althoughthe maple neck in my '77 is hard to beat.
  13. Hilton Marsh

Hilton Marsh

No, its not real, its a fake. Dont buy it. Can you send me the name and contact phone number of the seller, lol
  14. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

The cost of shipping will probably kill you.:ninja:
  15. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

LOL!! That's really funny.

Thanks! Very interesting. I'd like to know what site this from...

I'm going to go check it out first thing tomorrow. If it plays well, I'll see if I can work out a price. If not, I'll have to leave it. It has numbers etched in the headstock and the back plate. The guy said the #'s are his dads drivers licence #'s and they were used for insurance purposes... sounds fishy to me but what the hey, when it's in my hands and making sounds I'll know what to do.

Thanks for the help fellas. Anything else that seems "funny"?
  16. Hilton Marsh

Hilton Marsh

True, it costs upwards of $400 for a bass in a hardcase sent from the US east coast to the OZ east coast and upwards of $100 if you remove the neck and send without the case from the US west coast to the OZ east coast. If its under $1000 then there is no tax, if its over $1000 then we add 12%. The Aussie dollar is buys around USD$1.05, so the smaller stuff is worth buying from the states. I'd happily own a second 63 P-Bass but I'd have to ship it to a mate in NYC and get him to bring it with him to OZ in March.

All the best MuthaFunk. If this 63 turns out to be a genuine gem then good on you.
  17. Davo-London

Davo-London

The scratched out letters on the headstock are weird as they shouldn't be there. Why scratch numbers on that are not the serial number???

The scratchplate and PU covers look very new but then the PU covers are probably never used so that's OK.

Davo
  18. Caca de Kick

I always see lots of old Fenders where the original owner engraved a drivers license or social security number on it. Not rare at all.
  19. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

+1

There was less fear of identity theft then. Engraving your DL# or SS# was an easy way to deter instrument theft.
  20. lorianb

lorianb

So - did you buy it?
  21. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

Yep. It will get its own detailed thread soon! Stay tuned. :)