1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Is this a counterfeit Fender Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rockin Mike, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

May 27, 2011
  2. Jamarvic

Jamarvic Endorsing Mofongo! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I'm no expert but, that's a Fender MIK Jazz 24. Nice basses..buy it.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Looks way to legit to be a fake. ;)

5. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Way Out West
    The headstock logo looks a bit misplaced to me. Seems fishy somehow. I'm not familiar with this model.
    6 screw neck plate? I dunno..

6. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

May 27, 2011
    I was thinking the logo looked funny.

7. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Legit. Jazz 24. They were only made for a couple years.

8. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    There's one at my local GC for about half that price. It's kind of beat up though.

Looks like the real deal jazz 24 to me.

9. Google Fender Jazz 24. Pretty obvious it's real.

10. Jamarvic

Jamarvic Endorsing Mofongo! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    This.

11. elBandito

elBandito

Dec 3, 2008
    Rotten Apple
    Looks real to me. Faking a relatively cheap korean made bass is like counterfeiting $1 bills.

12. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
  13. I've got one of those. It looks like a legit 24-fretter except for the Noiseless pups. The original ones had SD Quarter Pounders as well as a six-bolt neck. Don't know if what the seller meant by "cleaned-up the electronics" was just a pup swap. The pre-amp in that thing is a watered down version of the SD 3-band preamp they sell on their site. I'm not sure though if the 24-fretter had real flame top or photo-flame (this never was a consideration when I bought mine). That looks like a cherry burst model (what I have is the tobacco burst one). I'm quite satisfied with what I got. Might be worth your while.

14. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

It's the real-deal. I've seen them come in cherry-burst, tobacco-burst and flat-black. If you want to see some pics of the individual parts, do an eBay search for "fender jazz 24 bass". You'll see more than a few parted-out pieces in these three colors.

As far as price goes, it's a decent price. They normally went for well over the $500-$600 mark new. The one exception I saw was late last year when Alto Music's Amazon store had over a dozen of the flat-black models on sale for $500 brand new. Fortunately word got out 'round these parts and they were sold out before I succumbed to the GAS pains.