Is this a deal?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Hopkins, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

2. jlepre

jlepre

If the tubes are sound and not old and drained YES!
  3. flygirafda3

flygirafda3

Not a steal, but 135 watts for $400 definitely isn't bad, especially if it has new tubes like he claims. If it's seen a tech recently then that would be a pretty good price. I've never played through any of the fender bassman amps though, might be way rad.
  4. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

That looks to be in great shape and a very good deal.
    A good friend of mine (guitar player) bought one in ruff shape for $400 and sunk another $200 in it. He loves it and it sounds great with his '66 Les Paul and a Marshall 212 cab.

I tried it through my 2 15 cabs and wasn't real impressed.
    My Bassman 100T sounds much better and gets a lot louder.
    Guitar players love them.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

With 4 6L6's it's more likely around 100 watts; and if it needs new power supply caps it will be even less. Not really a steal IMHO.
  7. johng999

johng999

The Bassman 135 has an ultra linear output stage, which is probably workable for bass. The UL output stage sounds very good clean and gives it a fairly raucous overdriven sound rather than a "smooth" distortion more common with other output stage designs. The claimed output gain is due to this circuit change, but it is highly unlikely to put out 135 wrms, probably more like the usual 100wrms or so from 4 6l6gc's.
    $395 is a fair price, but no steal. I bought a drip face dual showman (same circuit as blackface) last year for $450, and it is a much more musical amp IMHO.