1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Is this a decent rig for a wedding/funk/dance band?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by squeally dan, Nov 1, 2012.

1. squeally dan

squeally dan Supporting Member

Background:

This is my band:

Recently our bassist quit and I have been playing bass. We play lots of dance stuff: kool&gang, commodores, etc.

The sound man like the sound of my rig but wanted to get you guys opinions. Currently using a MIA jazz bass I scored off this website a few years ago. I would guess its a 90s model but need to check serial number.

Using a Hartke HA3500 found used on Craigslist and plugging it in to a GK BLX 4x10 cab.

Sounds ok to me but I'm new to bass. Sometimes seems the d & g strings don't have much pop.

Also, this j bass feels really heavy after 3-4 hours.
  2. squeally dan

Would love to get some opinions. Anything I should upgrade?
  3. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

Mmm - without hearing your gear I can't really give you any suggestions. If you find that your bass is lacking in certain ways (d and g strings, too heavy) then try out some other basses so you can compare.
  4. mbbassmojo

mbbassmojo

You should be good. Pretty cool band, guessing the old bass player is in the video. Would love another Jazz bass myself. You might just add a decent DI box to your setup if you don't like the one on your amp. I recently picked up the MXR M-80 but haven't had a chance to test it out in a live setup.
  5. jefkritz

jefkritz

If it's loud enough, and you and the sound guy are happy with it, it's fine.

I'm going to go ahead and say that at least 98% of the people in the audience wouldn't notice any improvements to your tone. If you're worried about that last 2%, well, that's a different story altogether...
  6. bluewine

bluewine

I don't care about your rig.

It's great to see someone post a video that's actually quite good.

The band is tight, good musicians and well rehearsed.

I really like how the drummer is handling the vocals.

Btw, the music stands look cool and certainly appropriate in that setting.

I really like your band.

Blue
  7. Stumbo

Stumbo Supporting Member

I suggest a setup for your bass. Maybe the pickups need adjustng or some new flatwounds?

Also think about tilting the cab back or putting it on a stand so you can hear it better.

You also probably need a wider, more padded strap. A TB "comfortable strap" search willturn up lots of options. :)

Good luck as the new bass player! :)
  8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Sounds like it is doing a fine job to me. As far as the weight thing, get a good strap or a new bass. if you like that one, get another one just lighter.

Oh and new strings and good setup are always a must.
  9. squeally dan

Thanks for all the feedback,
  10. Stumbo

Stumbo Supporting Member

+1 on spiffing up your stage look.

Something like this or this.

Or even this.
  11. pflash4001

pflash4001

I haven't been able to watch the vid on my phone yet, but of you're having trouble with the D and G strings, it may be something as simple as a fresh set of strings and a set up. If you're not comfortable with doing it yourself, take it to a good shop, but I REALLY, REALLY recommend learning to do it yourself. No one else is going to be able to get it set up just like it needs to be for your hands better than you. I see it like getting a new pair of shoes then hiring someone else to break them in for you. They'll be broken in, but in the shape of someone else's feet. It's not hard to do. It's a valuable skill to have.
  12. squeally dan

Interesting comment about the music stands. Sometimes we think they make us look even nerdier.

New wider strap helping some.

What's a good resource for learning to set up a bass?

13. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

+1 to Blue's compliment. Good stuff there, OP!

If you are up to speed on doing setups, check the pup height. They might be a tad low on the G & D side.

IME, strings make a big difference in tone. Lately I've gotten into Circle K's balanced tension sets. The advantage is that your right hand technique (thump, pop, dead plucks) can be consistent across all the strings because the tension is consistent.

I find the Neotech strap comfortable, and it's priced pretty well.
  14. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007

If you really want to see a polished dance band, look no further than TB member, bass12's band in the third post. If you can afford the USA MTD, like he uses, you would be in bass heaven. My music teachers always said to purchase the best bass you could afford, and if you don't sound good, you know it's not the equipment. Again, just watch their promo video, as I believe his band is about as tight as your gonna get for dance bands around here. Good luck, looks like great fun playing with those guys!