Is this a Faulty Capcitor?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by IamJohn, Sep 20, 2013.

1. IamJohn

IamJohn Supporting Member

My friend just gave me a KRK Rokit 8 2nd Gen studio monitor for free. He said it's volume output has gone down significantly since he got it.

After searching online for a bit, I thought the problem might be a faulty capacitor, so took off the back panel and had a look around. Everything looks pretty normal to my eyes, but I'm

A.) Not sure what the black substance on a lot of the capacitors is.
    B.) Not sure if this bulge on this particular capacitor indicates that it has broken.

Could you guys help me see what's going on in here? Thanks a lot!

[​IMG]
  2. David Jayne

David Jayne

The black goo is there to help the larger parts resist breaking their legs with all the vibration.
    Can't tell which one appears bulged. They usually just blow up.
  3. ddnidd1

ddnidd1

When a component fails, normally you can't 'see' the source of an electronics problem.

If the volume dropped off you might want to look at the power supply.
  4. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

+1

On both counts.

On relatively low voltage/current applications, a catasthropic failures that spill component guts around the chassis and/or charrs the PCB are rather rare.

If the on-line sources point to a common capacitor problem, those are usually replaced first. Often before further diagnosis even.

As for the diagnose, the PSU is the first, followed by testing the amp with a signal generator and an oscilloscope.

Good luck.

Regards
    Sam
  5. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

What T-bird said.