1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Is this a good beginner bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by twistd, Jan 12, 2013.

1. twistd

twistd Supporting Member

2. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

It looks Chinese, which may or not be a bad thing, but the low-quality ebony fingerboard and chunky, poorly fit bridge feet are red flags.

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

Here's a bunch of good advice!

4. Thumpie

Thumpie

Forget about it.

RENT a quality bass from a reputable shop. After a year of playing, you'll have a better idea of what you're looking for in a bass (and you'll be budgeting $1500-$3000 for a starter instrument).

And find yourself a good teacher. Pronto.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. precisionguitar

precisionguitar

just purchased from Upton Bass... very professional, wanted to know what I was playing so they could set it up properly (pizzicato, arco..). its shipped to you directly... I would recommend them... they also have a buy-back so when Im ready to upgrade from my Shen SB80, they will buy back and I pay the difference - my $0.02

7. jnel

jnel Guest

my 2cents is get a new one-precisionguitar and others have given you some good advice. By the time you get the used one and get it set up and no warranty, you would be around $3 or $400 difference if you go ahead and purchase a new one. . The Shen 80 is the best beginner plywood that you can buy imo. Anyway, the best of luck to you.