1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Is this a good beginner bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by twistd, Jan 12, 2013.

1. twistd

twistd Supporting Member

2. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

It looks Chinese, which may or not be a bad thing, but the low-quality ebony fingerboard and chunky, poorly fit bridge feet are red flags.
  3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

Here's a bunch of good advice!
  4. Thumpie

Thumpie

Forget about it.

RENT a quality bass from a reputable shop. After a year of playing, you'll have a better idea of what you're looking for in a bass (and you'll be budgeting $1500-$3000 for a starter instrument).

And find yourself a good teacher. Pronto.
  5. precisionguitar

precisionguitar

just purchased from Upton Bass... very professional, wanted to know what I was playing so they could set it up properly (pizzicato, arco..). its shipped to you directly... I would recommend them... they also have a buy-back so when Im ready to upgrade from my Shen SB80, they will buy back and I pay the difference - my $0.02
  6. jnel

jnel Guest

my 2cents is get a new one-precisionguitar and others have given you some good advice. By the time you get the used one and get it set up and no warranty, you would be around $3 or $400 difference if you go ahead and purchase a new one. . The Shen 80 is the best beginner plywood that you can buy imo. Anyway, the best of luck to you.