1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

is this a good CL deal for $1,400

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by brumshine, Jan 28, 2013.

1. brumshine

brumshine

I really need a big boy amp. I play in a loud arena rock band that plays mostly small and medium clubs but have played really big outdoor shows in the past.

I stumbled upon this on craigslist, I want it but I wanted to get some TB opinions on if the price is good or not.

Used Ampeg SVT II Pro in 6 space shock mount rack with Ampeg SVT-810E. Head and cabinet are both made in USA head is 300 watt all tube. The 810 cabinet has padded cover.

2. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

if you're playing small and medium clubs i have a feeling you'll hear "turn down!" a lot.

3. Joe Murray

Joe Murray

If the condition is good, the asking price is nice.
    That being said, Moe may be correct...that's a lot of amp to haul around for small to medium sized rooms.
    In the photo, does it look like something funny is going on around the bottom right two 10s?

4. brumshine

brumshine

When I looked at it in person I didn't notice anything wonky with the bottom right 2 10s. I think it's just some crud on the lense of the camera or a bad pic.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Joe Murray

Joe Murray

Excellent news. How was the condition? Are you going to adopt it.

7. brumshine

brumshine

Condition was 8/10. Not sparkly new but looks like the previous owner took good care of it. I didn't play through it yet but it if sounds as good as people say I will be hauling it away sometime this week. This is at a music store so I'm going to try and see if they will do no tax and take a little trade for my old acoustic B200.

8. bassguppy

bassguppy Supporting Member

+1 to Joe's comment.

I have an older SVTIIPRO and it's ALOT of amp. Great sounding and can give a hernia if not lifted correctly. That said, if the tubes are in good condition it's a decent, fair price.

9. modulusman

modulusman

A loud arena rock band that plays mostly small clubs.:confused:

10. brumshine

brumshine

Modulusman- That's really my best attempt at describing our original horse whippin' rock and roll :) With a little bit of luck, maybe we'll get our arena show someday!

11. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    Great deal, but a beast to move around

12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

The price is alright, not an amazing deal but appropriate.

The amp and case would get $900 in a good deal, the type of deal he will have to wait to get.

The cab would fetch $600 if the guy want to wait around and get the most out of it.

As a pair, I would start offering him $1200. If he doesn't take it, wait, hw will. The bigger the item the deeper the discount on CL/Kijiji, they are a MUCH harder sell, people using kijiji/CL are usually looking for blow-out style deals and cheap gear. I have sold a lot of stuff on local classifieds.

I personally would recommend you get something far more practical, seeing as you play arena rock not arenas, but if image is everything for you, go for it. Have fun loading that pig, they call it a fridge for a reason. I bet that rack weight is not much less the cab.

13. brumshine

brumshine

You are right DiabolusInMusic, the rack is pushing 100 lbs, cab is about 140. Image isn't everything to me, I just don't want to spend the cash on something smaller when I already have a solid 200w combo (B200).

14. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Is your combo not cutting it or are you just looking since the option is there? And yeah, that rig weighs considerably more than I do. No thanks.

Personally, 410's is where its at for me (I actually prefer my 310 but it is tonally different from my 410). You can keep up with a crazy loud drummer no problems, I do not worry about stage volume only practice volume, I have personally never had to play a venue without P.A support.

I used to run a markbass 610, which was great and only 70lbs, but still large and awkward so I had to get a hand to load it without sliding it along my bumper. I can now easily carry my cab in by myself. At 3 A.M. load out is when you appreciate it the most. I am tired after playing for 3-4 hours and chatting with drunks before during and after

I replaced my SVT-CL with a markbass SD800 as well, so instead of hauling a 100lb head I carry an 8 lb back pack. I move my rig in one load. The 310 can even be carried one hand so I can take my bass in as well in one trip if I am feeling energetic.

I am a lightweight preacher though, so to each their own.

15. brumshine

brumshine

Warning, this post is going to be way TMI....

My B200 combo works just fine for me right now. During practices and shows I have to max out the volume and I have had no issue using EQ to cut through. I've played about 10 shows with it and never had any complaints about the volume or the sound.

One show we played after a touring metal band in a medium venue. The bassist in the metal band played a spector into 2 eden 4x10s through some eden head (I don't remember the model). I sat with my girlfriend at the time and noticed that during the set she started giggling and blushing. I asked her what was going on and she sheepishly told me that she was really, really enjoying feeling the bass. Apparently the combination of 2 michelob ultras, super tight jeans, a wooden chair and 8 10's got the job done!

16. Lowactnsatsfctn

Lowactnsatsfctn

Good call... Looks like the cones popped off on 2 speakers. I'd avoid it for that reason as well as being possible overkill for what your doing.

17. brumshine

brumshine

Just got off the phone with the guy, he said he would take 1200 cash. I'm going to go play it and examine the speakers tonight, if it looks good and sounds good I have myself a new rig.

18. modulusman

modulusman

Take your girlfriend along so she can give you her opinion.:D

19. Backstreets

Backstreets Supporting Member

Hilarious! What's that line along the lines of "It's the bass that makes the girls dance" or something like that?