Is this a good jam setlist?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by gfdhicool, Dec 29, 2013.

1. gfdhicool

gfdhicool

Duran Duran-Rio
    The Who-My Generation
    Led Zeppelin-The Lemon Song
    The Beatles-Something
    Queen-You're My Best Friend
    Black Sabbath-Iron Man
    Yes-Roundabout
    Muse-Hysteria
    Led Zeppelin-The Ocean
    Iron Maiden-Phantom of the Opera
    Iron Maiden-Powerslave
    Rush-YYZ

2. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Jsmming with whom? For what? There's some pretty technical stuff in there. If you're jamming with guys who are up to it, go for it.

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

Other than Iron Man it's a great list. That song seems completely out of place in a list that technical. How about subbing Mob Rules instead?

4. lundborg

lundborg

LOL - have you actually listened to Iron Man?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

If you are talking open jam where anyone can sign up and get a little stage time that list would be an assurance of a total cluster**** from beginning to end. For this situation you've set your sights impossibly high. For an open jam stick to the KISS principal, simple progressions without a lot of chord changes or stops. Also, pick songs that have been played to death. The object is to have fun and trust me, it's no fun standing there trying to teach some new cat a song on the fly they've never played in their lives, and most likely will lack the experience, skill, chops, etc.., to pull off. If you want to go with technically challenging tunes, pick some jam oriented things that have built in spaces to noodle like In Memory of Elizabeth Reed, Whipping Post, Somebody Loan Me a Dime, Got My Mojo Working, One Way Out, Gimmie Three Steps, stuff like that.

If it's an invite only jam and you pick players familiar with the material, it would be an impressive set for the listeners.

7. gfdhicool

gfdhicool

****,I didn't mean like those kinds of jams (I can't even do that very well LOL).I meant like something to just play for fun with a few buddies of mine

8. gfdhicool

gfdhicool

Hmm,how about I swap it with Into the Void or Fairies Wear Boots (I would do War Pig,but the bass solo is too inaudible)

9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

If your buddies like the list and can keep up, it is a great set list. You are definitely going to need a keys player though if you want to actually enjoy playing some of these songs, or just have a bunch of silence.

10. gfdhicool

gfdhicool

Yeah,I am :).These guys are a bit older than I am (I'm 15,the guitarist is 21 and the drummer is 20),hopefully I get a little better,since my 1 year and 6 months experience is nothing compared to them (the guitarist has been playing for 6 years and the drummer has been drumming for 10 years).

Any other songs we should add? We may also add a few jazz songs that I just learned.

11. gfdhicool

gfdhicool

You're right :(.In YYZ,there's this big gap of silence and in Rio,it sounds kind of empty,since the keys are crucial in that song.

12. fhm555

In that case, go for it! I'd enjoy working on a list like that just for the fun of it. It's not really my cup-o-tea for playing out, but it would be a real hoot to work on that material just for fun.

13. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

That's tough list for playing that long. If you can pull it off, you must be the next prodigy.......

14. gfdhicool

gfdhicool

Nah,I'm just decent.I practice a lot,since I don't really have much to do at home (3-4 hours a day).In My Generation,we cut out the last seconds of the ending,since I can't make out what Entwistle is playing behind the guitarist.YYZ is something I just learned 3 days ago xD.

15. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

That's a cool list. I like every song on it. I have always wanted to do most of the songs but it's a different story trying to get a drummer/guitarist/singer etc... to be able to hang with you on all of it.

16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Don't forget Roundabout.

I was in your situation when I was your age playing YYZ, we used to just skip the keyboard part. That part is in 7/4 though, so take note.

We used to play a bunch of Silverchair, Oasis, Poison, a LOT of Sabbath. The best way to do for us then, and still now, was to have everybody come with a couple songs to do. That way you can collectively sit around and cut each others songs, you should be left with a handful you can and will play.

17. gfdhicool

gfdhicool

I got VERY lucky then,since I'm playing with people that have more experience than I do.The only song our drummer sucks at is YYZ (He slows the tempo down for some reason while I'm doing the little fast intro thing,which messes me up lol).

18. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

Yes, I have.

19. gfdhicool

gfdhicool

I just play an open A string on that part lol,but maybe we'll cut it out too.

Thanks for the brilliant idea :),I might actually do that! Since sometimes,I feel like they want to play something more guitar based,although they haven't told me anything bad yet.You can never have too much Sabbath :)

20. fhm555

It's always a good thing to work with more experienced/better players. No better way to motivate you to grow than to be in a situation where it's all you can do to keep up.

Being a professional shlub, I always work in that situation.

21. spade2you

spade2you

However, if you listen to fools THE MOB RULES