1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

is this a good trade?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PhatRon, Nov 14, 2012.

1. PhatRon

PhatRon supporting member Supporting Member

'83 (??) Ibanez Roadstar (RB650). offered for my Little Mark III
    on my local CL. I've had the amp listed for a while now with no takers. I am clueless to the value of this bass. going to check it out tomorrow night.
    any pearls of knowledge to offer up anyone?

cheers

Attached Files:

2. RoeyHaviv

RoeyHaviv

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Vigier guitars, Pigtronix Effects
    This smells like regret.
    I wouldn't do it.

3. joebar

joebar

that is about a $300 bass IIRC...

4. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

Overall---the amp is worth more than the bass by maybe $100-200 if the amp is new and in great shape. What shape is the bass in? And does the $100 or so bucks mean that much to you? If the bass is in truly primo shape I'd have to really think about that. Cool bass for sure, but my experience on one is too far back to make a judgement for you. What do you need the most? Man, I am leaning towards the bass IF PRIMO and the amp is not a big deal for you. But if not absolute primo--------I'd not trade.

I dunno---see if he'll trade AND give you a $150--that would actually be the only way for it to make sense...if the bass is PRIMO and with a case if possible. It is a cool bass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bochafish

Bochafish

Never played a Roadstar. But LMIII's are awesome. I see LMIII's sell for $350 shipped all the time. (Probably easier to sell a LMIII than a used Ibanez) I may be wrong.

7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

They are great classic basses and that one looks to be in decent shape if the person could throw in a small amount of cash I would go for it I think after you play it you might really love it.

8. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

Nope, this sounds right on.

9. PhatRon

thanks for the input all. If I like the feel of the neck and sound of the pups It might be hard to pass up. I am not using the amp. I prefer my Genz shuttlemax and the UPS man is bringing me a walkabout/scout. But then again this wouldn't be my main bass either. My initial thought of the value is about where you all have said, +/- $300. I've had the amp listed for a few months now for $400 or trade. This is the first offer.

10. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I can get a very nice example of that bass for under $200. Don't know the value of the Amp. I would get the trader to kick in $150 or so.

11. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker Supporting Member

Ibanez Roadstars are highly regarded as undervalued. Japanese made, good quality wood, hardware and pickups. I see the one pictured has a badass II bridge on it. That's worth about $75 by itself.
    It looks to be in good condition, check it out and see what you think.

12. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I love the night life, I got to boogie....
    Yup. Great Japanese made basses, but only worth $300-ish.

13. PhatRon

thanks Bitterdale. forgot to mention the bridge, I did know about it. also after market knobs but pups original.

14. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

I've only played one, but it blew me away. Killer tone. It was in GC, and I thought seriously about buying it. But I simply had too many basses to justify it. If you're looking for a bass, it's worth checking out. That one looks very nice; and if it blows you away, I'd make the deal. If you don't like it, don't make the deal. And like somebody suggested above, you can always ask him to throw in a little cash. You never know...

15. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

I don't think its worth it. Isn't the LMIII worth around $400 or so?

16. Wallace320

Wallace320

but I'm an Ibanez appreciater, whereas I don't really dig Mark Bass, so it just could be me after all

Cheers,
    Wallace

17. PhatRon

Thanks to e1 who gave input. Greatly appreciated. After test driving and much thought I went for the trade. It has a very nice feel and lighter than my jazz and P.
    As was pointed out I agree it's an undervalued classic. Dollar for dollar maybe wasn't a good deal but I can find lil marks all day long for 3-4 bones. Not so with a roadstar in that nice of shape. Cheers

18. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Personally I would have asked the guy to kick in a few bucks but that's me. Roadstars are vastly underrated and are incredible value for money. You traded an amp that was collecting dust for a bass that you dig and are going to use.