Is this a legit squier p bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BirdThunder, Feb 9, 2014.

1. BirdThunder

BirdThunder

So i got a trade offer for my epi les paul bass for squier p-bass, I asked for a model and he said it dsnt have any, I think he was the 2nd or 3rd owner, It's a squier p-bass with a silver finish with matching headstock, decal is there as well as squier neckplate. I recently upgraded to a tbird and I've been dreaming for a p-bass but I'm cashstrapped for now so this is my only option. Can you help me identify if this is a legit squier bass?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

btw it's got dimarzio pups. Never heard of a silver finished squiers so hope you can help me guys. Thanks!

2. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

The headstock is metallic silver too? Then its a refin afaik. If it plays and sounds okay enough, i wouldn't worry about a squier being original or not. Headstock decal looks like affinity fwiw.

3. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

there is no reason of any value to fake a Squier.

4. Batmensch

Batmensch

Maybe, but I was thinking more like an old model from the now OOP Standard line.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Standards had "precision bass" on the headstock. In the last picture, you can see the beginning of "p-bass" which was (is) on affinity models. Also, assuming hardware is original (looks like the original hardware rattle can painted black to me), the tuners have small posts. This was standard on older affinity models with closed box-type tuners, where as I am fairly certain the Standard line used full size open back tuners.

7. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

The P bass that was offered in the 'Standard' line was the P bass Special, with the P/J pups and the Jazz spec neck ..

The OP bass is a Limited Edition Squier Affinity P Bass, from 2003 ... Pewter color body and matching headstock ... body was alder, ALL the hardware was black originally, black pickguard (1 ply) and black plastic knobs, P bass spec neck ... dont quote me on this, but this MAY have been released in the P configuration and in the P/J configuration ... value probably $150-175 +/- depending on condition and desirability once you get it into your hands, and the value you give to the Dimarzio pups ... it is a Limited Ed if that matters to someone also ... this bass was kind of a forerunner to the Black & Silver Series P Specials that were introduced a couple years later ...

FWIW, the Standards always used open back tuning machines, as on the MIM Standard, Hwy 1/Ones and AmSpecs ... the Affinities have used both the smaller closed back machines as well as open back style as the Sq Stands depending on era ...

8. BirdThunder

BirdThunder

So uh guys, is it a worthy trade? I mean considering it's gonna be traded for an epi les paul bass. Value wise it dsnt matter, i just dont wanna feel ripped off.

9. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

dunno ... can you get the Squier in your hands to play it?? .. only you can answer that ...

... I have only had a few Epi/Gibson style basses, and I have no interest in them .. although I have given a second look to the Jack Cassidy ... everything I use is Fender 'esque' .. but then thats a relationship that started some 40+ years ago ...

I would think value would be similar .. do your homework on Epi value ... you have a rough idea of yours now ... but, you cant plug into a dollar bill, you need to play what YOU like ... JMHO

10. BirdThunder

BirdThunder

Played a squier affinity jazz bass on gc 2 weeks ago and i liked them, there's no point for me getting a fender at this point cause i'm going to the army soon, aside from being cash strapped. so i'm settling for squiers, my epi lespaul costs like $170-$190 now, and i got a new epi tbird classic-IV pro so 2 humbucking bass wouldn't make sense now, tbird was a big upgrade from the les paul. So gotta get a "new" bass to diversify my sound.

11. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

There is various LP Bass, how much do you see yours worth? I guess the silver finish makes it worth more to some but I can get a affinity P bass for $60-100. The case if its in good shape is worth $40-60. So yeah its got a value of $100-$160. If you were going to let the LP go for that range and you like the P bass then do the trade.

12. BirdThunder

BirdThunder

I got the epiphone les paul special bass, trans black ltd ed. Has the same value since the squier has dimarzios and a molded.case, while mine's all stock with a road runner roadster bag, i just wanna know if this is a legit squier, cause i've never seen a silver finish squier with a matching headstock, a friend of mine said this might be a crap carlos robelli that has a squier decal i dont know anything about carlos robelli bass or any fender copy bass, brand knowledge is limited so i kinda rely in squier for now as a standard for fender copy. I just dont wanna feel ripped off so there, legit or not?

13. spaz21387

spaz21387

I dont see why anyone would fake a squier? People put fender logos on squiers all the time but why take the time to fake a squier? Its just a refinished squier.

14. BirdThunder

BirdThunder

^not all squier are bad cmon, but you have a point though, what's worse than squier? What a shame i wish i can discern what wood it is, m not particular about wood tone theory but i kinda believe them.

15. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

All this is irrelevant if the bass plays like crap. Definitely try the bass out first before you trade, it may look like a Squier, be a Squier but if the neck is messed up or the electronics, then it's a bad bass to trade for. Don't worry about it being a fake Squier, highly doubt that- never seen one and not worth faking to be honest with you, fake Fenders are the ones to look out for. That being said, Squier basses are a good value regardless and great basses (I have one), just not worth faking.

16. A-Step-Towards

The onslaught of text on this bass is amusing. Its not refinished. Thats how it came new, a limited color. With a case if it plays well its worth $150. Get it or don't, but its not fake.

17. spaz21387

spaz21387

Yeah I know but the affinity ones do still suck. The vm and cv are great. I have owned a few vm squiers. If it was my decision id also avoid any bass with the smaller 3/8's sized tuning pegs. I hated how hard they were to tune. But what you need to worry about is if the bass plays well and that you like it. If so do the trade and quit wondering if its real no one is going to fake a squier.

18. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Lucas, I am always amazed at the number of folk that comment without reading the previous posts ...

19. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

The op should really try the bass first. It's not worth that much if the truss rod is broken on the neck. It doesn't matter if it's a Squier or a Fender, just make sure it works. Case I agree is a good plus though.
    As the op has mentioned, "Value wise it dsnt matter, i just dont wanna feel ripped off.".. so if it works great then yes, it's a good deal.

20. A-Step-Towards

That goes with any bass. You should try it, be it $50 or 15k.

Yep its pretty amazing. Its as if people were having a conversation outside and 10 minutes into it you come up and just add stuff to it except in these situations you can actually read whats been discussed, but no one wishes to do that. They rather just throw out their 2 cents.......which often is wrong.

21. SIFJiggy

SIFJiggy

Don't buy it. Pretty sure it's a fake. :D