1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Is this a problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tekdiver500ft, Jan 2, 2014.

1. tekdiver500ft

tekdiver500ft Supporting Member

I just got another Sting bass (replacement), and this one has the same issue as the first, namely poorly installed tuning machines. They are warped and not flush with the headstock. See images below. Is this an issue? I love the way these basses sound, and otherwise build quality on them seems first rate. I don't want to put more money into a brand new $900 bass, so new tuners and/or luthier work is out of the question. If this will cause problems, I'll send it back (again), but if not, I may just keep it as is.

Thanks so much for your help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Wow... nice work Fender.

Yeah that's a problem. Especially for the price you paid.
  3. pfox14

pfox14

Apparently the QC department at Fender was out sick that day. That is very spotty workmanship.
  4. tekdiver500ft

Okay, nice to have it confirmed. I thought it was, too, but was hopeful...
  5. bass geetarist

bass geetarist Supporting Member

Really not much more than a guess, but I would think that this could cause problems. Do the tuners turn smoothly? If they're not aligned properly, they could be grinding against the wood of the headstock every time they're turned
  6. tekdiver500ft

They seem to turn smoothly, but they are very stiff. I thing the pegs are aligned, but the headstocks weren't drilled for the backing plates and gears.
  7. Remus_Redbone

Remus_Redbone

Here's what I see;

There are two straps that wrap around the tuning key shaft. These straps hold the shaft and tuning shaft gear in place against the string post gear. The ends of those straps slip through a couple slots in the tuner mounting plate and are bent over flat (as possible) to hold the straps in place. Even though they are bent flat against the back of the tuner mounting plate, they still have some thickness.

All Fender stuff I've see dating back to the late 70's have a couple small "divots" or "cups" in the back of the headstock to allow clearance for these "tabs" so the tuner mounting plates lay nice and flat against the back of the headstock. The divots appear to be made by a large drill bit that is just touched to the back of the headstock to make a 1/16" deep or so cupped area for the tabs.

Now, it appears your tuners are being held away from laying nice and flat against the back of the headstock because there are no "divots" or "cups" on the back of your headstock to allow the extra clearance for the tabs.

Here's the question; did 50's Fender basses have the divots / cups in the back of the headstock to allow for the tabs sticking through the tuner mounting plate? Since you have received two basses with this same "problem", is it an inherent design of 50's Fender basses that Fender is sticking with to keep Sting basses as close to authentic as possible?

I'd ask Fender or ask someone else with a Sting bass to see if they are ALL made like this to duplicate the original. There are other characteristics Fender has duplicated on reissue instruments in order to to remain as authentic as possible to the original, such as the exposed ground strap on early Jazz basses. The problem might be just like all mid 50's P-Basses and not a problem at all.
  8. Lownote38

Lownote38

This is your answer. The fix is using a clamp with rubber on the edges (the kind with a trigger) to press the tuners into the wood a bit where those pieces stick out in back. Do this without the strings on. It's either that, or take the tuners off and drill shallow holes for those metal pieces to rest in. Either way, it's a pretty easy fix.
  9. Arizona Jones

Arizona Jones Supporting Member

Once upon a time I had a Sting bass and IIRC the tuners were mounted the same way. Why not post in the main "Basses" forum with something like "Sting bass owners is this right?" or something like that. Probably get more hits and info.
  10. JustForSport

JustForSport

Looks like that 'acceptable' neck pocket I saw on here- same company.
  11. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Uh-huh...that's exactly what I saw in the first frame. Question is whether or not the baseplate will flatten out once the tuner is removed from the headstock. If it does and you really like the bass, I would normally consider hitting it with a drill press but that would make it better than original and probably void the warranty at the same time.

What's the return policy term...two weeks, etc? I would think e-mailing Fender with the attached pics would elicit some type of response. Well, more than "return to retailer".

Riis