Is this a short scale bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by E-At, Dec 6, 2013.

1. E-At

E-At

A friend of mine is interested on buying a bass, and he asked me whether this one was a short scale bass or not.
    I can't tell from the photograph, I hope you do.. Thanks!

[​IMG]
  2. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

It sure doesn't appear to be. Best way to tell is to simply ask the owner to measure from the nut to bridge saddle (the round cylinder that the string goes over). Anything close to 34" is normal scale, 32" medium scale and 30" is short scale.
  3. George Mann

George Mann

It's a short scale body with a full scale neck.
  4. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

Oof.

Have the seller measure from the nut to the 12th fret, and then from the 12th fret to the saddles. If those numbers aren't the same, it's mismatched.
  5. aetheldrea

aetheldrea

sure looks like a full scale neck on a short scale body. There will be at most 4 notes in tune on this bass: open E, open A, open D and open G
  6. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

I measured the pic. It is way off. Big enough difference that I can safely say that it's a 34" neck on a 30" body. Like aetheldrea ^ said the open notes will be the only ones in tune.

It is a big enough difference that even though it is only a picture, it still says a thousand words.
  7. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

but at least it has the roller string tree to help with smooth tuning... :bag:
  8. E-At

E-At

Why would someone do sth like this? I want to believe the seller doesn't know anything about basses and he's just trying to get some cash out of this one. 'Cause if he plays then he must know the thing's useless, right?
  9. E-At

E-At

Here's another photo of it...
    [​IMG]
  10. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

There's people, newbies, posting right her in TB that don't understand scale lengths and ask if they can jam an LS neck on a short body, so maybe this guy doesn't know it's not legit.
  11. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

Had the parts. Tossed them together.

There may very well be enough room on that body to move the bridge a couple inches back and put it into spec.

Dunno what the seller is charging, but I'd be a reluctant buyer at $40 if I wanted to take on the project. And that's being generous.