1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Is this a weird combination?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Labi, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Labi

Labi

I bought a black pearloid pickguard to combine it with a black Jazz bass. By the time it arrived, I sold the black J and got a sunburst one. I really love the black pearloid pickguard but somehow it looks weird with sunburst. Any thoughts?
    [​IMG]

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Not for me, but if you can dig it then go for it!

3. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

4. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Plain black works perfectly.
    That pearloid black... :meh::crying:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Let me be the first to say it: Tort.

7. Major Softie

Major Softie

My thought would be that you think it somehow looks weird because it looks weird.

I could see that pickguard on black, and I could see it (even better) on white, but it kinda creeps me out on that burst.

8. Labi

Labi

Yeah! But I am not sure which one would fit perfectly without having to drill new holes. The black pearloid took some sanding here and there to fit, but only two screwholes are matching. It's a Squier Standard series BTW. I might leave the original white one. Eventualy paint it black.

[​IMG]

9. Veldar

Veldar

I think it's cool.

10. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I don't like it. I think tort or white pearl would look better but the only thing that matters is whether or not you like it. It's your bass. If you like it keep it that way and don't worry what anyone else thinks.

11. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

I prefer the white. I may be weird, but tort on burst looks just as weird to me as the black pearloid.

12. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Black pearloid looks good on nothing IMO. For me, Sunburst + Rosewood = Tort. Standard or aged white pearloid will look nice as well.

13. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

This

14. AshdownMad

AshdownMad

I like it! (And i dont like pickguards!)

By the mostly negative response, no one else is going to have that styling combo! So if you like it, you've got a very individual bass there :D

15. bass geetarist

bass geetarist Supporting Member

I actually bought a black pearloid guard for my natural finish p bass, but hated it when I put on. I do like the look of black pearloid, but I think it would look better on solid colour instruments, not natural finishes or sunbursts. There's just too much going on

16. PimasterPearson

PimasterPearson

I think tort or white would look better, but the pearloid is pretty cool! Maybe leave it on there for a while and see if you get used to it.

17. RED J

RED J Play what you want how you want & quit arggerin ! Supporting Member

18. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I think, perhaps, that the lighting in your picture isn't doing it justice. (Maybe adjust your lighting and white balance, or perhaps take some pics outside? The white guard looks too "creamy" and the fretboard's color is all washed out.) Personally, I like it, and I say this because I've seen this combination in the proper light of day. I put a black pearloid guard on a sunburst Affinity Jazz for a little while.

Now, I also agree with those who say, "Go black." It's a very nice combo as well. I eventually went this route with the Affinity, but that was also because I had plans for the black pearloid guard. Specifically…

[​IMG]

…this!

The Squier Jazz pictured above was also from the Standard Series. And yes, I too had to attack it's neck pocket, pickup route and the edge along the control plate with a Dremel tool to make it fit.

I've long suspected that the Standard Series basses had significant differences from it's Fender cousins. In fact, I've run into this no less than three times.

• Earlier this year when I tried to put a Standard Jazz neck onto a Mighty Mite body. A more recently produced Squier Deluxe Jazz (2009) neck fit it like a dream, but the Standard Jazz neck was a little too big and would've required some serious sanding inside the neck pocket.
    • I bought a 14-hole black pickguard to put onto an 2001 Standard P-Bass Special. It didn't even come close to matching up with the existing holes and also would've needed some widening of the guard's neck pocket.
    • I recently wanted to upgrade the pots on a different Standard Jazz…and the damn control plate's holes were too small for the CTS shafts to fit through! Talk about frustrating! :mad:

So if you're looking to mod a Standard Series bass, you're gonna need to use some elbow grease and a little bit of ingenuity.

19. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

I concur.

20. Labi

Labi

See post #1 :D

21. Leadfoot

Leadfoot

It's your bass, so you can do whatever make you happy. I do not like it; too busy.