1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Is this a weird grain or a crack under the finish?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gtrsaideh, Nov 5, 2013.

1. gtrsaideh

gtrsaideh

Nov 5, 2013
    Hi! good day to everyone.

I bought myself a brand new Squier Vintage modified jazz bass V and since this is my first maple fretboard bass I got really excited and took it home as fast as i can. Now, after inspecting the neck, these are what i found.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My neck has around 3 or 4 "grains" as long as fingernails and although it doesn't show in the pictures, it has 3d look into it, and can even convince other people that it's a deep crack. Or maybe it really is! :bawl:

So, could this really be a crack on the wood that was present BEFORE the finish was applied, or a grain normally seen in maple wood. Should I send it back and ask for a new unit?

Please help me since I don't really have any idea with these kinds of things.

Thanks!

@mods: I think i posted in the wrong section. I'm sorry.

2. BrBss

BrBss

Jul 9, 2010
    NM
    Looks like grain to me. I wouldn't worry about it.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

4. gtrsaideh

gtrsaideh

Nov 5, 2013
    Thanks for replying!

Have you encountered anything like this before? Because it looks really three-dimensional, like when i cast shadow over it the more it looks like a deep cut. and i'm almost convinced.

:bawl::bawl:

5. LowLife350

LowLife350

Jun 28, 2012
    Troy, New York
    Disclosures:
    none
    I can't tell for sure, but out looks like a burn mark to me; perhaps made while finishing the neck.

6. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Flame maple has the effect your describing. I'm pretty confident its grain.

7. BrBss

BrBss

Jul 9, 2010
    NM
    Wood figuring can be very 3 dimensional... look at expensive quilted and flamed maple tops! IF it were a crack, it would likely be much thinner and sharper, like a line drawn from a very fine point pen. This appears to be softer, wider, and more "bubbly" in appearance.

8. George Himmel

George Himmel

May 16, 2009
    San Diego
    Disclosures:
    Manager, Bass San Diego
    Another vote for grain. If it looks in real life like it does on my monitor, I've seen it dozens of times before. In fact, if I get a good break, I might post some pics from basses in the shop that have the same grain features (IF I get a break!).

9. gtrsaideh

gtrsaideh

Nov 5, 2013
    Thank you very much guys!

I'll be able to sleep soundly now. or later..

I'll sleep later :D:D time to break in the new bass!

10. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Pacifica CA
    Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Here's an example of a natural "blemish" within the grain structure of wood (in this case maple) Wood is organic and is affected by a number of things in it's life-span.

[​IMG]

In my constant battle not to be anal when creating a beautiful instrument or finish, I have grown to welcome such imperfections. It's like a fingerprint or a "beauty mark" on a lovely woman's face - ultimately unique.

11. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2009
    yeah, that's a grain anomaly, nothing to worry about.

12. gtrsaideh

gtrsaideh

Nov 5, 2013
    wow that one looks exactly like the one in mine! (although this one is rounder)

you sir, have cleared any remaining doubt that I still have.

Thank you!