Is this a weird grain or a crack under the finish?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gtrsaideh, Nov 5, 2013.

1. gtrsaideh

gtrsaideh

Hi! good day to everyone.

I bought myself a brand new Squier Vintage modified jazz bass V and since this is my first maple fretboard bass I got really excited and took it home as fast as i can. Now, after inspecting the neck, these are what i found.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My neck has around 3 or 4 "grains" as long as fingernails and although it doesn't show in the pictures, it has 3d look into it, and can even convince other people that it's a deep crack. Or maybe it really is! :bawl:

So, could this really be a crack on the wood that was present BEFORE the finish was applied, or a grain normally seen in maple wood. Should I send it back and ask for a new unit?

Please help me since I don't really have any idea with these kinds of things.

Thanks!

@mods: I think i posted in the wrong section. I'm sorry.

2. BrBss

BrBss Previously brendanbassist Supporting Member

Looks like grain to me. I wouldn't worry about it.

3. gtrsaideh

gtrsaideh

Thanks for replying!

Have you encountered anything like this before? Because it looks really three-dimensional, like when i cast shadow over it the more it looks like a deep cut. and i'm almost convinced.

:bawl::bawl:

4. LowLife350

LowLife350

Disclosures:
    none
    I can't tell for sure, but out looks like a burn mark to me; perhaps made while finishing the neck.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Flame maple has the effect your describing. I'm pretty confident its grain.

7. BrBss

BrBss Previously brendanbassist Supporting Member

Wood figuring can be very 3 dimensional... look at expensive quilted and flamed maple tops! IF it were a crack, it would likely be much thinner and sharper, like a line drawn from a very fine point pen. This appears to be softer, wider, and more "bubbly" in appearance.

8. George Himmel

George Himmel

Disclosures:
    Manager, Bass San Diego
    Another vote for grain. If it looks in real life like it does on my monitor, I've seen it dozens of times before. In fact, if I get a good break, I might post some pics from basses in the shop that have the same grain features (IF I get a break!).

9. gtrsaideh

gtrsaideh

Thank you very much guys!

I'll be able to sleep soundly now. or later..

I'll sleep later :D:D time to break in the new bass!

10. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Here's an example of a natural "blemish" within the grain structure of wood (in this case maple) Wood is organic and is affected by a number of things in it's life-span.

[​IMG]

In my constant battle not to be anal when creating a beautiful instrument or finish, I have grown to welcome such imperfections. It's like a fingerprint or a "beauty mark" on a lovely woman's face - ultimately unique.

11. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

yeah, that's a grain anomaly, nothing to worry about.

12. gtrsaideh

gtrsaideh

wow that one looks exactly like the one in mine! (although this one is rounder)

you sir, have cleared any remaining doubt that I still have.

Thank you!