1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Is this actually a bass cab??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ric4682, Mar 13, 2014.

1. ric4682

ric4682

2. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

Looks like it. Though there's no model number on the photo of the back plate, it says it was Rick Savage's (Def Leopard's bass player) tour cab. Looks legit to me.

3. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    4x12s are always bass cabs, but lots of guitarists use old fashioned bass cabs for guitar or copies thereof a lot (kinda like they use Fender Bassman heads). So this probably sits inbetween territory. I had one of these I used for bass, but it was sold as a guitar cab, but it sounds like playing bass into a guitar 4x12, because its that box, might have bass speakers in it, in which case its like a guitar 4x12 with bass speakers loaded into it. Taste call. Crude and heavy, doesn't go low. Ashdown rebranded their guitar stuff to Hayden to avoid this sort of confusion.

Edit: rig pic excuse: [​IMG]

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I assume it to be. Question....have guitar cabs been making use of Speakon connectors?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ric4682

ric4682

So what you're saying is it's a bass can but it's not a very good one? Hehe

7. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Ever since bass players ordered them like that. UK made Ashdown is pretty custom shop.

8. AstroSonic

AstroSonic Supporting Member

Hard to believe they put out a cab with no model number, no impedance, no power handling capacity and no serial number. Notice that one of the speakons is fastened with a philips head screw, wile the other one is pop riveted. It suggests that the back plate was replaced, and the replacement repaired.

It looks like a guitar cab - there is not enough volume for 12's to develop decent bass (it's a sealed cab with about 1 cf per driver). Maybe somebody liked the sound of his bass through a 412 guitar cab, and maybe even had bass guitar speakers installed. If the OP is looking for 'typical' 412 bass cab sound, this will not likely deliver it.

9. catgut

catgut

What? 12's are guitar through and through. For the last 60 years. 1x12, 2x12, 4x12 closed back, half backs, and open backs. Jimi's Marshall's were not bass cabs. Really I hope I am misunderstanding your post. It was always bass players using guitar 4x12's. Lemmy and The Jam's Bruce Foxton come to mind. They shreded those Celestians. I mean most of those cabs had 30W drivers in them.

10. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    30w drivers because that's what speakers were then, being 4 of them at a time and cabs in pairs is what made it for bass. 30w drivers, 4 of them, when bass heads were 100w, perfect sense, although also used in pairs. 200w heads were wired to only work with two cabs at a time. 30w amp and 2 12s is plenty for guitar even now, unless they are wannabe bassists. Guitarists have always wanted to be bassists, hence the using bass cabs, bass heads and more recently detuning/extra low strings. 4x12s were made as bass cabs and rapidly adopted by guitarists.

11. catgut

catgut

Utter madness I tell you.

12. Cirk

Cirk

Using a guitar cab for bass will most likely result in unsatisfactory results and expensive repairs. Better off getting a cab designed for bass. Are there exceptions to this? Sure, but they have the money to replace blown speakers all the time. I for one am not one of those exceptions. YMMV.

13. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

I have a book from about 35 years ago which states the same thing. It claims Pete Townsend wasn't happy with his stage volume, so he nabbed a couple of Entwistle's 4x12 bass cabs and thus created the first guitar "stack", thereby popularizing the use of 4x12 cabs for guitars.

14. bottomend!

bottomend!

Nope. Guitarists the world over can thank John Entwistle for the 4-12 cab.

15. Sartori

Sartori

The Marshall stack was pretty much first used by John Entwistle. A bassist.

16. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Sadly, we as bassists can thank our fellow bassist JE for guitarists with terrible sound because they stand outside the beam when they eq.

17. catgut

catgut

My comment was a little tongue in cheek after I googled a history lesson. The more I think about it the more your quip about guitarists wanting to be bassists is ringing true as well;)