Is This an Audition Turn Down or ?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bass81800, Feb 11, 2013.

1. bass81800

bass81800

Hello, I am curious what your opinion is of this, especially if you have been through cruise ship auditions. I auditioned for a cruise ship gig. I think the audition went well, and I received a response that the agency does not have any current openings and I will be contacted in the future for possible openings. I asked for further feedback about my the audition, not yet forthcoming.

Does anyone have any take on how competitive these gigs are and whether I should or should not consider this response as not passing the audition?

I am getting to work now the prepare for another audition with another agency.
  2. NWB

NWB

Maybe they thought they needed a bassist for the cruise ship that caught fire and is drifting around the Gulf of Mexico?

Ah sorry, I couldn't be actually helpful.
  3. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

Sounds like it to me ... the ole "don't call us, we'll call you" routine. Chalk it up to experience.
  4. jaywa

jaywa

Yup, it's a "no".

Keep looking.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bass81800

bass81800

Here's the exact wording.

I unfortunately don't have anything for you at this time, but will be in touch with any future opportunities.

Meanwhile, there are other agencies, if this really is a no.
  7. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

I would take it as a 'maybe later' as opposed to a flat out no. The corporate outfits like to have backups. But, I don't think it's generally a good policy to ask for feedback on your audition. If it was a 'no', they have moved on and probably have more pressing issues on their plate. If it was a 'maybe later' then they'll probably doubt you're ready.
  8. longfinger

longfinger

That sounds like you passed, but they don't have any open slots. There are only about 120 ships out there, and many musicians repeating their bookings. And they might not want to book the new guy 6 months in advance, if one of their veterans decides to renew, or book in advance instead.

Also, if you applied with an agent, that agent might only get offered to fill a certain number of slots, after the cruise line direct, and other agents higher up the pecking order.

Perhaps, shed some more, and apply with another agent in a few weeks?

If you did not pass you would get a letter like "unfortunately, we need a higher lever of reading ability. Please feel free to re-audition in 6 months time.."
  9. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Friend, that's an absolute NO, not you, not now, not maybe. And don't hold your breath for getting an unsolicited call from them in the future.

The 'next opening' will go to open auditions like this one did. For 'your opening' they didn't just call some previous auditioner, who they probably have many of.

They don't want to have go to the trouble of maintaining files and then contacting individuals at some future point who 'might' still be available and interested, so they just go to open auditions and see who walks through the door. Its just easier for them. Its a business.
  10. bassinplace

bassinplace

Just keep shedding and going back and auditioning every few months if you really want them to notice you. Otherwise, just keep shedding and shopping yourself around elsewhere. :bassist:
  11. bass81800

bass81800

I will just look at it this way, and follow up with them in a few months. Meanwhile, I already have some specific info for auditioning for another agency, and I am getting to work today to get ready. Agency #2 is actually a larger agency anyway.
  12. obimark

obimark

IME for gigs, "real day" jobs, and band auditions, 95% of the time they will call you in less than 1 week. No more if you got the gig/job/audition.

I can't tell you how many interviews for real jobs where they told me they would call me within a week, and I call back then and they offered it to someone the next day after my interview. Every job I have ever gotten, they have offered within less than a week, every band as well.
  13. jungleheat

jungleheat Banned

If there were truly no openings, what was the audition for? Exactly.

You didn't get it.

I agree, unless they have some urgent need that comes out of nowhere (like somebody dies the day they're about to ship off), you will not be called. Any future slots will probably have more open auditions which you will have to show up for again.
  14. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

Sorry, I just wanted to beat him to it...

I'm lucky, playing on land keeps me more than busy every weekend. There is no way at my age I could play on a ship.

Your situation is probably different, if you like playing on a ship, go for it.
  15. Snarf

Snarf

Agencies are generally eager to get new people on. The cruise thing has a high attrition rate as it's a pretty miserable way to live. Contracts are pretty easy to come by. Sounds like you've been turned down. Could be wrong, but most people that I knew on ships auditioned, and got offered a contract immediately. (same with me)
  16. Muttleybass

Muttleybass

It's a NO. And no, they won't ever call you again.

I hear they're not as wonderful as you might think, anyway. It's a lot of work, protocols to follow, codes of conduct, etc.
  17. bass81800

bass81800

Yes, I am really reconsidering whether I would want to do something like this at all, anyway. I really could make more money with my day job, keep musically busy at home, retain my sanity. Living conditions sound horrendous. I have been doing a lot of research on this.

Just cannot seem to get motivated to start working on the next audition. Sure, friends keep telling what a wonderful opportunity this could be, but some are not musicians, and they do not understand what this involves, especially if you are older than someone fresh out of a university and probably still living at home.
  18. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

Most cruise lines treat their employees like s**t. I have been on over 15 cruises as a paying guest and have witnessed the abuse of the crew and staff. just sayin.
  19. natbers78

natbers78 Supporting Member

I auditioned for one of these gigs about 12 years ago. They told me the same thing. However, I did get a call from them about 2 years after they told me no asking if I wanted a gig.
  20. jaywa

jaywa

Pretty sure I wouldn't want to live on a cruise ship. But then I'm claustrophobic...
  21. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

They probably could "feel" your indecisiveness about taking the gig. If you really really wanted it you would have knocked their socks off. JMO

You could try putting together an entire act and then try getting booked as a complete outfit. That can be more rewarding. If you could get together with some experienced Cruise ship musicians, they could school you on the way it works.