Is this bass legit?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by naaily, Feb 21, 2014.

1. naaily

naaily

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

trussrod adjustment at the head = very unlikely to be a US model. It's a bad start.
    The upgrades, while likely legit tend to decrease value rather than boost it. It is way overpriced IMHO.

3. mcarp555

mcarp555

It might be a late '90s, which would have the truss rod access at the headstock end, or it might be a fake. Try to get the serial # and see if it matches up to the correct year (or country).

4. garp

garp

Caveat emptor. Not that a stock American Fender can’t be improved upon, but when someone makes subjective claims — such as “these DiMarzios are far superior to the stock pick ups” — take such verbiage with a grain of salt, or perhaps an entire salt shaker. Modifications do not always equate to upgrades.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. naaily

naaily

Thanks guys. I asked about the serial number and the truss rod. I also noticed the fret dot inlays are white (arent they usually black?) Anyways, I will get back to you as soon as the seller replies. Also on gumtee, I found an aerodyne for £550 (http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/fender-aerodyne-jazz-bass/1049284581). I would also like to confirm the legitimacy/value of this. Thanks so much for all your help again, everyone!!! :hyper:

7. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

White on a rosewood board
    Black on a maple board

8. naaily

naaily

Oh haha thanks. I never knew that XD

9. naaily

naaily

I got a reply about the trussrod. He says that when he acquired the bass the truss was already there. No word on the serial number yet though...

10. joel406

joel406

"Most" necks have a truss rod in the neck when they leave the factory.

As for the original question. Its overpriced. Probably a fake.

Probably...

11. naaily

naaily

serial is Z3229831

12. Immigrant

Immigrant

Welcome to TB!

It's overpriced. Find another bass.

13. naaily

naaily

HAHAHAHAHA. That or the aerodyne then? the aerodyne look pretty tempting...

EDIT: by the aerodyne, i mean the aforementioned one :)

EDIT AGAIN : Actually, not that one (i dont live in ireland XD). Let me start again, this or a stock aerodyne?

14. evermelon

evermelon Previously srvlives4evr Supporting Member

Looks to me like a Highway 1. And overpriced, $400-$500USD perhaps.

15. naaily

naaily

Yeah. It is kinda dull so it could possibly be a highway one.

16. Co0O

Co0O Supporting Member

The serial number is 2003/2004, and the headstock is typical Highway 1 from those years. The bass seems legit. The upgrades must have cost a bit, and that's probably why he tries to get as much as he does. I think it's overpriced.

17. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

This is a parts bass ... for 2003/4 the offerings in the Hwy 1 line were Daphne Blue, Honey Blonde, Crimson Red Transparent, and 3TSB ... the pic is bad, but certainly appears to be a black body... the neck appears to be early Hwy 1 (pre-upgrade), which in essence is a MIM Standard (or MIM Deluxe) neck with 'made in USA' logo applied ... hardware on it is not stock though ...

If interested in purchasing, I would ask/evaluate components piece by piece, as it has lost much of its value with the modifications ..

18. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

The Aerodyne appears to be legit. Specifically, it's an "export model Aerodyne Jazz", the same kind that's readily available here in The States. If it had a standard Jazz-style output jack, it'd be a non-export model. My first bass was an export model Aerodyne, so I'm extremely biased when it comes to them. That being said, they sound pretty darn slick and look sexy as Hell.

£550 = @$920, which is $120 more than a brand-new, off-the-rack Aerodyne would cost here. What's the price for a new Aerodyne in the UK?

19. naaily

naaily

I found an this (click here) on ebay. I think its the japan exclusive model since it has a pickguard. I'll probably go for it :)

20. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Anyone can add a pickguard ... the easiest and most accurate way to quickly determine a 'not for export' model Aerodyne (accurate terminology) is by the dot fret markers ON the fingerboard if stock ...

21. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Too…effin'…sweeeeeet! :cool:

I've been GASsing for this model in the Candy Apple Red. Unfortunately, it costs a king's ransom to get one shipped stateside.

I hope you like a curvy fretboard. The Aerodynes have the vintage 7.25" radius, as opposed to the more standardized Fender radius (9.5"). Also, the bound body's top edge can dig into your forearm if you tend to rest heavily upon it. You'll need to get used to either holding it suspended over the body or only letting it rest very gently there. I'm not trying to scare you away from that awesome bass, but I want to let you know what you're getting into with such a notably different body and neck type.

Good luck! :hyper:

EDIT: Just to add to tjh's comment in regards to the non-export Aerodynes; the standard 'Dynes have dot inlays, but the deluxe models (black, bound bodies with no pickguard) have no inlays, only side dots.