1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Is this bass worth 500 and is it stock?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KablesP, Dec 17, 2013.

1. KablesP

KablesP

[​IMG]

The bass is for sale at Guitar Center. Its a 1980 Fender Precision Special. But most of these basses I have read about only have a single P pickup, as well as active pickups with a switch by the input jack.

This bass has a J pickup and it does not look like there is a switch. Do you think its just a 1980 neck on a different body? The hardware seems to match up all being gold but I can't be sure.

If it seems legit and plays nice, I just might go buy it.

2. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin

At a minmum, the neck came from a different body or the body has been refinished. The rest I don't know, but why would the headstock be red and the body be natural if there wasn't something odd going on? If it sounds and feels good, who cares if it is stock, though. You could do worse for $500.

3. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

No, it's not stock at at all, and the original finish is stripped.
    Non original pickups, non original pickguard too. Looks like it was likely converted to a passive bass.

The 80-83 Special only had one pickup which had white covers, and an active/passive preamp with the toggle by the jack.

4. KablesP

KablesP

Im looking for a P/J bass and this looks pretty awesome but I have also seen the new Active P Bass Deluxes made in Mexico that are only going for 350 used at guitar center.

I wonder how this bass sounds...I actually like the natural look of it. Looks like EMGs?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bongolation

Bongolation

A definite "no" on both questions.

7. M0ses

M0ses

It's clearly not even close to stock, but if you like the look, feel, and sound, it could easily be worth $500. If you don't, then it isn't.

8. Wesley R

Wesley R

Not stock, yet if it really talks to you, and you truly love the feel, etc., then what does it being stock (other than resale value) have to do with it?

Being worth $500, is probably a regional question as well as personal. No way in heck for me, YMMV.

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

There's nothing stock on that bass.

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Though it does look interesting. Wonder what the feel, tone is like?

11. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

12. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

If it plays well and sounds good I'd say it's easily worth 500, but not something you'd be able to flip for a profit.

13. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

As other posts mentioned, no, it's not worth $500 if you're considering the overall resale value of the instrument on paper. Something like this would be a $200-300 purchase perhaps as it's not stock.
    Now, it may be worth $500 to you if it plays awesome despite it's mish-mash appearance. It might have that one of a kind sound and feel because of it, you'll never know unless you try it first. (Then compare it to stock Fenders)

14. P Town

P Town Guest

The body looks like it was originally painted, because the difference in appearance of the center piece is too dark to have been acceptable for use in a clear finish body.

15. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Actually, there is a good deal left of the original bass. The tuners, string tree, bridge are original. There were originally only 2 knobs, but the knobs look gold plated, so at least 2 of the knobs may be original. In fact, the neck itself seems intact and unmolested.

Of course, the more important parts have been damaged. The pickups/electronics are most certainly not original, nor is the pickguard. The body has been routed, and the nice original finish has been removed. Is it worth $500....I don't know. I wouldn't pay $500 for it.

16. Arial Bender

Arial Bender

Is the neck off center?

17. millsbass5

millsbass5

I like it. It definitely has some character with that painted headstock. If she plays well and sounds good, buy it. But, if the price tag says $500, you can bet you can get for less than that, for sure. NEVER PAY WHAT THEY'RE ASKIN'!!!

18. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

GC used to be flexible in their used gear prices. Not anymore. Unless a guitar has been hanging on the wall for several months, GC won't even discuss dropping the prices. It's been this way for a while now.

19. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

I'd give it a month before they do a price drop. I've seen $399 guitars drop down to $199 in that amount of time at GC. I bought one that dropped from $299 to $79.99 in about two months. Pulled the trigger as soon as it went below $100. If I remember correctly, it was a Washburn.
    As the post above by smcd mentioned, they won't negotiate prices these days, but they do drastic price drops when no-one's buying it.

20. Bass Fund

Bass Fund Banned

If I saw that bass at a shop for $500. I'd surely put it on layaway, poplar center block and all.

It doesn't look like Fender routing around the J pup.

21. Session1969

Session1969 Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I noticed that. Makes their new gear more attractive, price wise.