is this being rude?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Icey101, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Icey101

Icey101

My sister in law came to visit my family, she lives in another state and i dont see her that often. We were all in the lounge room talking, the wife and my mum and her. She kept looking down at her iphone, sending messages to her friends and wanting me to look her photo's on her iphone. This really annoyed me and I started wishing for her to leave. I hadn't seen her for a year therefore i put up with this behaviour. So is this how people communicate now, one eye on the iphone FOMO? (fear of missing out)
  2. 20db pad

20db pad

It's immensely rude but totally accepted these days. I knew all was lost when I saw girls dancing and looking at Facebook at the same time at gigs I was playing.

I think opinions on this will be different depending on the age of the person with the opinion. I'm over 40 and of the generation where people talked and socialized.
  3. RxFunk

RxFunk

I'm 18, and yes, I think It's rude, yet somehow this is completely acceptable today.
  4. ZenG

ZenG

Yes ...you are correct......most of the population is now addicted to these devices.

And it IS an addiction.
  5. spade2you

spade2you

Yup, wife does it all the time. :meh:
  6. paste

paste Supporting Member

[​IMG]

It's just a lot less obnoxious doing it with a handheld device the size of your palms. And yes, she is being rude.
  7. fmoore200

fmoore200

Very rude. I hate when people are attached to their phone.

(this message sent from my galaxy S2) :bag:
  8. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Give Me Chocolate! Gold Supporting Member

I don't own an iPhone, and I never will. People are the worst.
  9. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I own an iPhone. Most my friends own smartphones. We never do this, unless there's a good story attached to it. Some people just suck no matter the technology. Others are more than fine with it.
  10. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    +1. The majority of posts I make here are on my phone while ignoring the people around me.

America is about competition, and the people I spend time with are going to have to step up their discussion of bass related merchandise and playing tips if they expect to receive my undivided attention.:|
  11. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

Well hey it just means one thing, you and your wife are a lot more boring than anyone else she communicates with on her phone.

Personally I've never had a smartphone (or cell phone for that matter). Well...not true...my gf gave me old ones twice, but i was using them to take pics or as mp3 players, i didn't have a plan so i never used them as phones or for texting.
  12. FilterFunk

FilterFunk

These people are not visiting at someone's house. I've never seen someone pull out a newspaper while talking with relatives at their house. Completely different thing, but nice try.
  13. Tupac

Tupac

Yeah, because you were totally missing out on those girls' intelligent and insightful personalities :rolleyes:

Life is full of interest generators and interest consumers. 15 years ago those girls would have been the average airheads that contribute nothing and feed off of other people's conversational dominance. Smartphones just give those people a different outlet for their consumption.

(yes I realize you wouldn't be conversing with them from the stage, I'm just addressing the smart phone topic as a whole)
  14. fmoore200

fmoore200

I thought all your friends were poly sci majors who talked down on the blue collar Americans from high atop your ivory tower, while sipping fine wine. How could you not find that interesting? -_-
  15. Happynoj

Happynoj

Jeez, get with the programme - it's called 'connectivity', and it has been decided that the world NEEDS more of it.

People are demanding more and more 'connectivity', which is why people are now having personal details stolen from their fridges and why you need a watch that can tell the time and display your emails, just in case the effort of taking your phone out of your pocket is too much.
  16. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    Sometimes even the stuffed shirt elites I snob around with get stale, and I need to return to my TalkBass "man on the street" roots.
  17. fmoore200

fmoore200

Got it. Go slumming with the TB crowd. Classy. :p
  18. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

My wife just completed her Masters in Psychology and showed me that cell phone addiction is VERY real and now an official classification in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (the diagnosis bible).

The cell phone alerts of incoming activity are like Pavlov. The bell rings and dog comes, except that there are almost infinite sources. Alerts from Twitter, Facebook, all social media, forums like TB, everything and anything people do online. An alert sets off the dopamine receptors and it's so frequent that people just can't get away.

To quote Bongolation from another old thread.

"Many writers over the years (particularly the late Neil Postman) have pointed out that the central characteristic of modern life is the illusion of personal connectedness to a seemingly infinite array of distant things, people and activities which in fact are utterly remote and disconnected from the person. They are beyond his control and usually have no effect on him, except in his imagination, which they cumulatively poison. By various manipulations, the average person lives in a stressed-out and deluded fake world made up of almost nothing but this toxic fantasy and media hypnosis, at the expense of having a real life of his own in which he can be truly involved and effectual."

This is what is at the core of cellphone addiction.
  19. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

These people do not know each other, let alone family members in front of you in your living room.
  20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

It's the new norm.

I'm a big fan of NHL hockey, but I dislike the #FOMOH promotion.

-Mike