Is this blasphemy, or should I sell my '76 to buy another bass & amp?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sbpark, Feb 2, 2013.

1. sbpark

sbpark

I know I stated in another thread I'd never sell this bass, but am sort of considering it now...

It's a '76 P-bass in amazing shape with an old Dimarzio P pup and a Badass II bridge. Yes, it's not all original, but everything else on the bass is, and is in incredible condition. I'm considering selling it so I can have a nice bass AND a nice amp, instead of just a nice bass! If I sold it I'd probably get a 50's MIM P-bass and a PF500 Portaflex 210, with the option of adding another 210 cab down the line.

The reason I'm considering this is one of my new year's resolutions was to really try and not spend any money and work hard at paying off student loans (the bane of my existence and am on a 5-year plan to be completely debt free and wipe out 90k of student loan debt!), and so far I'm ahead of the game, as I sold a guitar I had for $350, picked up the P-bass and a practice amp for $250, and sold the practice amp for $60 (I got VERY lucky!) I know what the bass is worth.

If I decided to sell the bass I know I could probably get more if I part it out, but really would like to sell it as is because it really is a nice bass!

So what would you do?!
  2. mystic38

mystic38

i would sell it.. if it was all original you would have to pry it from my cold dead hands, but at the moment its just a nice old bass, and you can get a nice bass easily for less.
  3. sbpark

sbpark

I'd rather see ti go to someone who could really appreciate it and wants a bass like this, and I'm sure I would be more than happy with a MIM 50's P.
  4. sbpark

sbpark

bump for advice...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. stanley00

stanley00

I would keep the '76. You already said you were ahead. You'll find a good deal on a better amp long before you will find a good deal on a vintage P-bass. While a MIM 50's is a fine instrument, I doubt it will ever increase in value if you ever really need the money down the road.
  7. seang15

seang15 Supporting Member

Sell sell sell!! :hyper:
  8. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

You should absolutely positively sell that bass. It's been modified, so it's won't be hard to replace if you want another in the future. As far as seller's regret, I don't think I've ever heard someone say "Damn, I wish I never sold my modded mid-70's Pbass".
  9. sbpark

sbpark

I agree. The thing that this bass has going for it is the neck is essentially in like-new condition, not a nick, ding, scratch on it, and the body is in amazing shape as well. I guess I just have to find someone who's interested in it!
  10. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

Sell it, and sell it whole, not in parts. You'll make a great profit selling it and you're doing the right(and responsible) thing by getting rid of the student loan debt. Besides, if you let that debt go, the interest you pay will by you ten high-value basses.
  11. sbpark

sbpark

+1. I have like $70k in student loan debt!
  12. azzyrazzy

azzyrazzy

Media:
    50's mim P is a really nice instrument.
  13. sbpark

sbpark

I think so as well, which is why it would probably be my first choice if I sold the '76. I think its probably one of the best 'bang for you buck' basses in Fender's current lineup, and I love the look of it, the beefier neck and like all the colors aside from the red. I'm already trying to decide if I like the black or the sunburst...never really been a fan of black, but it looks classy with the anodized pickguard!
  14. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

You can find hundreds of people interested in it on ebay.