1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Is this common with a new mim p bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Seriouscat123, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Seriouscat123

Seriouscat123

This standard p bass was new at guitar center and this pickguarg issue is
    kind of annoying:

IMG_20131229_115321.jpg
  2. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

Don't know if that's an mim problem, but I wouldn't be happy with it! I'd have GC either swap the pickguard or exchange for a different bass.
  3. CBRXJ

CBRXJ

Seems there may be more of a lighting issue.
  4. line6man

line6man

I've never seen a multi-ply pickguard warp. In fact, that was the reason that Fender used multi-ply pickguard material. Single-ply was prone to warpage.

Bad material, perhaps?
  5. s4001

s4001

Take it back and they'll fix it. My son bought an epi dot with a jack issue and the tech guy swapped it out and fixed it, no questions asked.
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Terrible pic but you can clearly see the issue. The pickguard doesn't fit right and is warping because of it. If you bought it new OP get it fixed immediately, tell them you will take a new pickguard but if it happens to the second one you want a new bass, if it does it twice the screw holes are off.

This is not common OP.
  7. elBandito

elBandito

Nothing new. Every USA fender I owned had ill fitting pickguards.
  8. Bobster

Bobster

I bought a Squier VM Fretless P and it had a delamination of the pickguard. The tort was coming off about the neck, leaving basically a white guard.

Contacted Fender and they sent me a new one (but it did take a while, apparently they were out of stock).

You need to verify the issue is the pickguard, or the screw hole on the bass itself. A new pickguard would be easier to deal with.

All the best,

Bob
  9. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Warranty covers it. Get it replaced.
  10. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

:eek:,... oh myyyy!;)
  11. Jonithen

Jonithen Supporting Member

Maybe I'm superficial, but I don't think I'd have taken something like that home. Fortunately my USA P-deluxe doesn't seem to have that issue.
  12. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

This.

Take it to GC and get them to take care of it.
  13. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

So? Every USA Fender I owned didn't.
  14. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

What exactly does make a factory fitted pickguard ill fitting? Unusual comment.
  15. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz

But this has so much potential to be another Fender bashing thread!!! :rolleyes:
  16. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Small warp in the material. Either get it replaced or decide to live with it. Doesn't make a difference to the sound or performance.
  17. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd

It's common for a certain percentage of mass produced instruments to be defective. Just bring it back and get it replaced.
  18. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

My buddy has a Squier VM Jazz with a warped pickguard. It makes a hollow sound when my fingers hit it. Sucks. Never seen this on a newer Fender.
  19. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

The only times I remember this happening on a regular basis was when I was younger, and the warpage happened because of players shoving picks up under the PG.
  20. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Yeah - his profile lists an '08 MIA Fender - I'm calling BS...

- georgestrings