1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Is this definitely a refin?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by magnaton, Dec 17, 2013.

1. magnaton

magnaton

The search for my first vintage P continues. This screams refin to me.. but Fender is sometimes inconsistent in their ways.. especially in the 60's. Can someone more knowledgeable please confirm whether this is indeed a refin/ an original finish, and why.

Thanks much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Don' know but its pretty rad looking that's for sure.
  3. lz4005

lz4005

I don't know if it's a refinish or not, but in the 60's most solid color Fenders had white primer under the paint.
  4. christopherogut

christopherogut Supporting Member

That's gorgeous! It's got a paint stick mark and white primer...
  5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

looks like Surf Green or a very faded Seafoam Green.

The bridge looks too clean considering the condition of the rest of the instrument.

EDIT: resolution on my work computer wasn't good. Bridge seems period correct.

Any other/more pics?
  6. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

I'm not offering an opinion either way, but what makes it scream refin to you?
  7. Mr.Fingers

Mr.Fingers

it has got black shielding paint in the control cavity, and the green/blue color sits over that, so the shielding was done prior to the colorlayer. Since Fender didn't use shielding paint in the sixties, I say it's a refin.
  8. IvanMunoz

IvanMunoz

Subscribed for information.
  9. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

Really? I thought I had fairly good vision, but, man, you must be part hawk. :D
  10. Hapa

Hapa

Disclosures:
    Bass Industry guy, currently a free agent
    I do not see paint in the cavity, shiny spots from something rubbing on it yea, to me in the picture shielding paint looks like it was added after the fact.
  11. Joel Graham

Joel Graham I Brake for Basses! Supporting Member

The "wear" on the upper bout looks "reliced"... The "Willie Nelson" style deep groove on the treble side looks totally white- like it was painted over. The paint stick appearance looks very un-Fender-like to me... I'm sure there are experts on this forum that can give a more definitive response. To bear in mind, there are and have been some excellent refinish jobs over the years to the point where people put the work under a black light (whatever that is supposed to achieve?).
  12. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

The thing that speaks refinish the most to me is the paint stick shadow. I agree that it looks suspicious. This suspicion is based on the way my '62 Jazz looks. Mine has been refinished twice. It was originally 3tSB, then blue, and now it is finished walnut stain with clear coat. After being originally finished by Fender and refinished twice, it never got enough paint in the cavity to leave a sharply distinct paint stick shadow. You can see where the paint stick was, but only because of slight overspray. This is in no way an attempt to say that the OPs bass is refinished. It is just a comparison of what I have seen in my bass, and to point out that, based on my sample of one bass, Fender didn't waste much paint in the neck pocket.
  13. danomite64

danomite64 Supporting Member

Refin, because there are no screw holes for the bridge cover.
  14. Lownote38

Lownote38

I agree with this, plus, the paint stick isn't in quite the same place and the hole in the neck pocket looks a bit large. The paint is definitely usually not that thick in the neck pocket. There is usually more of a shadow from the paint stick rather than a definite line like on this bass.
  15. Lownote38

Lownote38

Ahhh!!! Good eye! I didn't notice that. I can't imagine the pick up cover holes being there, but the bridge cover holes not being there.
  16. GM60466

GM60466

I say refin- There is paint inside the screw hole at the neck.
  17. magnaton

magnaton

Me again..
    Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate everbody being so cautious about this case, as it seems to be very unique. In response to some of the comments...

- my observation of it "screaming refin" was me mis-speaking. The more I've studied it, the harder and harder it's becoming for me to discount this as an original surf green? finish. The implications, if it is orig, are awesome.. as it's a rare piece, but I don't want to jump to conclusions at all. The screaming was perhaps in my own head from excitement, but I really wanna try take this one step at a time.

- The shielding paint in the pocket is a great observation. I've attached a number of new pictures below, including a high-res shot of the cavity. From what I see, it looks like it was applied on top of the surf paint.

- The wear is something I'm a little less concerned with. I agree that the Willie Nelson spot, and heavy wear by the upper bout is a bit excessive, but real or artificial relicing could be added on top of a refin/ original finish, and so I'm less swayed by this.

- Why is paint in the screw hole not covered by the stick a problem?

- The paint stick is an interesting point, and where the bulk of my uncertainty lies. I have seen examples of a '66 that seems very consistent with the shadow on this bass. But there's also a reasonably large variation based on a couple 60's pictures online. At the end of the day, it would be difficult to make a case for refin/ origin based on this alone since it looks, to me at least, like it falls within a certain margin of error for paint shadow. Would appreciate further thoughts on this and other observations. Additional pics below, and thanks again folks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. agreatheight

agreatheight

Logical.
  19. Lou Bottini

Lou Bottini Supporting Member

No bridge cover holes are questionable. Super cool looking bass just the same; love the pick guard.
  20. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

The more I look at the pictures, the more I lean toward refin. To me the most telling features in order from most important to least important are the missing screw holes for the bridge cover (good catch), the paint stick shadow, and, realizing that these are two dimensional pictures, the paint looks too thick. IME the paint on a sixties Fender bass would have been thin. Of course, judging the thickness of the paint accurately could only be done with the bass in hand. The same would be true or the paint in the control cavity. Without having the bass in hand, I can't tell which paint is on top. If the non-conductive paint is over the green, the mystery is solved. But, hey, I'm just a guy on the interweb.

Edit: I just noticed the pickguard. If that isn't real I'd really like to know where it came from.