Is this Double thumb???

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Music_for_life, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

Does anybody knows how to make the technique he does at min 3:43????

I had the chance 3 years ago to take some classes with him and he told me the technique was THUMB WITH OPEN STRING , LEFT FINGER PRESS THE NOTE, AND THEN POPPING IN THE SAME NOTE PRESSED. However, it seems he plays more notes, double popping????or double thump??
  2. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

bump, anyone with good year and technique to play that?
  3. Sceptical1

Sceptical1

Wow, wish I knew. Awesome bassist.
  4. Ajak

Ajak

What he plays there are triplets. 2 with the thumb (double thumb technique) and 1 popped. I think he plays and moves around in octaves in that part.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

First thing is it’s great to see and hear a Spector used in funky Latin type jazz. Spector can get a rap as mostly metal basses and man does it sit in the mix killer in the video. Sounds great!

Double thumbing? Yes I do believe that’s what it’s called. Some great videos showing how some of that technique is done is done by Andy Irvine…Great videos all of them. Here is his YouTube channel and he has tons of videos and some are just product demonstrations some are technique related but I know he does some great double thumbing stuff in them...

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFreebasslessons?feature=watch
  7. Da Bassics

Da Bassics

dope song man. id advise you to watch the man who created the technique periods videos.larry graham or watch the vic wooten instructional vid.
  8. darius8

darius8

Looks like he's using a Hartke rig. His sound is tops.
  9. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

10. mbeall

mbeall

Sounds and looks like, based on his hand position, that he is doing triplets using a thumb downstroke with index and middle finger plucks. Old school. You could do the same sound with down/up thumb and a single pluck if you wanted.

-Mike
  11. mbeall

mbeall

**** now that I listen to it again maybe your right about the open hammer pluck. Its hard to hear that first note with the bass drum every time. Watching the video again from a distance it does look like he hammering the string with the left hand. Regardless it just triplets on a single string. There's a couple of options to get you there.

-Mike