1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Is this Fender Precision real or fake?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SorryImADrummer, Nov 12, 2013.

1. SorryImADrummer

SorryImADrummer

Hey guys, new here.
    I currently own a 5-string, been helping out playing bass for my buddy's band (been a drummer for 11 years, guitarist for 9) and I've been look into trading it for a 4-string. I put my ad up and got a response from this man who was offering a P-bass? Something just sounds fishy to me considering the Fender basses I've come across usually have the "Precision Bass" text BESIDE the Fender logo rather than below.

Think you guys can help me figure out whether I'm about to get ripped off here? I know a ton of about drums and guitars... lacking in the bass department though lol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks again guys.

2. BenWhoPlaysBass

BenWhoPlaysBass

There are Fenders with the logo like that one... Thing that's throwing me off is the pickguard and aftermarket knobs. Serial numbers are in the right place and so are the stickers on the neck plate... But I'm no expert. I'd get a little more info on it. Serial number, when it was made, etc.

3. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

Did you bother digging around on the Fender site, bro?

4. bassmanrocke

bassmanrocke Supporting Member

Looks like a Mexican 50's p Reissue. It has also had a varitone mod added(black ring under volume knob). this mod is completely reversible so it shouldn't have any negative effect on value. I think these go in the $800 range new, but I haven't looked at one recently, so I could be way off.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SorryImADrummer

SorryImADrummer

Oh wow. I checked the website, but apparently not thoroughly enough. Sorry about that, and thanks.

7. MIMike

MIMike

Looks like a legit Mexican made Precision to me. The maple board, logo style and gold pickgard seem to indicate a 50s reissue type model. Looks in good shape too. I have seen these run on average in the $350-$500 used range, depending on condition and seller motivation. I have also seen them in rough shape for as little as $250. What is the value of what you have to trade?

8. Immigrant

Immigrant

FWIW, I've seen the Classic '50s go for slightly higher than a Standard MIM P, particularly if it's a later year when they switched to a lacquer finish opposed to poly. They go for about $300 higher than a MIM P new. One in mint shape can fetch up to $500.

They are actually very nice. I have a 2006 and it plays like a dream.

That knob is funky. ;)

9. SorryImADrummer

SorryImADrummer

For those of you wondering, he offered that bass for my bass. I grabbed this bass from a guy who apparently bought this at an auction. There's no logo or anything on the headstock. It plays amazing, but I have not one clue on the specs.

[​IMG]

10. Jsn

Jsn

Don't know what that is, but looks to be a well-made custom maker. If it plays amazingly, I have a hard time believing a MIM P-bass is going to top it,

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd make the trade, but what do I know?

12. Draculea

Draculea

Looks like an antonio Tsai a Taiwan based builder... Take a look for some info about your bass on his website: http://www.antoniotsaiart.com/

13. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

14. Wallace320

Wallace320

It's a Fender Classic '50s MIM Precision, so it's worth around $. 480.00 if secondhand

Solid black finish, gold anodized aluminum pickguard and "below Fender" Precision logo match with heel truss rod adjustment, Vintage ordinary screw bridge, skunkstripe (neck/fingerboard is off one piece a maple) and reverse winding "kluson" machinehead

You could always sell it for the same price you paid but I bet you'll end up not partin' ways with it

Cheers,
    Wallace

15. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

Bingo!

Not sure why there is a black disk under the volume control, but it looks stock otherwise and in good condition.

16. the ombudsman

the ombudsman

I don't think it's a Varitone, but a tuner.

17. darrenmt

darrenmt

Definately looks like a MIM Fender Classic 50s Precision. Not sure if that finish is poly or nitro. I did read somewhere that the black ones were offered in nitro. As for the volume knob, not sure what that black disk is.

If it plays and sounds anything like a roadworn, it's a good score.

18. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
  19. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

I would never trade a bass that plays "amazing" for a run of the mill Mexican Fender. There are a bazillion of MIM Pbasses out there on the used market. If you want one of those, buy one. They're dirt cheap.

Don't trade that Carl Thompson knockoff until you find out who made it. That Antonio Tsai model looks mighty close, but I don't think it's that.

20. SorryImADrummer

SorryImADrummer

Thanks for the tips guys. To be honest, when I bought the no-name bass, I got the guy all the way down to like 280 bucks for the bass. He just wanted to get rid of it. I think he paid around 600 for it.

Super interested in finding out who made it now. Wish there was any sort of logo on it.

21. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

Think thats an N-Tune tuner pot-have them on many of my guitars.

I could be wrong