is this g&l a hybrid?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by audreycashin, Feb 15, 2014.

1. audreycashin

audreycashin Supporting Member

2. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I'm not a G&L expert, but the original headstocks were like this & called "non barb".
  3. msact

msact Gold Supporting Member

4. Wallace320

Wallace320

and, for its price, a steal

I mean:
    over here in Italy, a g&l from that period (before headstock change) never goes below twice that price, while, not only we're talkin' a MIA G&L, more a nearly "Leo made" one, for price of a Tribute

Darn G.A.S.
    There's a new red Tribby SB-2 in a shop over here out at about the same price... now I want it

Cheers,
    Wallace
  5. msact

It's very nice. If I didn't already have two SB-2's I would jump on it.
  6. Flabass

Flabass Supporting Member

7. TurkeypillSLEEP

TurkeypillSLEEP Supporting Member

Really??? I have never seen an SB-2 with the split coil and single coil that DIDN'T have the eye gouger. I was under the impression that the early SB-2s had two single coil MFDs. I am no G&L expert either, but G&L is my main source of GAS and I spend A LOT of time looking at them online.
  8. TurkeypillSLEEP

I guess it is legit but that is very strange, as I recall seeing earlier models with the hook.
  9. TurkeypillSLEEP

"The first headstock used was the non-sculpted style that was quite similar to the old Music Man style. These necks also have the "skunk stripe" on the back of them. When G&L changed the construction method of the necks, the stripe disappeared and the sculpted "bump" on the headstock was added. The third and fourth versions were the modernistic design. This is sometimes referred to as the sickle headstock with or without the bump. The first style headstock mentioned was used from 1980 until early 1983. The second and current version was introduced in late 1982. The third and fourth styles were used from late 1983 to 1990 on different models. The third style was intended for the Interceptor (sickle-bump) only, but there were exceptions."

http://www.glguitars.com/chronology/index2.asp

"The second style SB-2 was introduced in 1987"

http://www.ggjaguar.com/sb-2-89.htm

Now I am confused... If the Sb-2 made the switch from dual SC to Split/SC in 1987, then according to the G&L website history it should have the hook... But that GGJaguars site looks reasonably legit. I clearly see the Split/SC configuration, but the dates do not line up with what G&L proclaims as the history.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in as I am very interested in the explanation for this.
  10. Spiritfield

Spiritfield

Yep, it's legit
  11. BowserBass

BowserBass

So tempted to buy that bass.....
  12. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

"Fender G&L SB-2

Bass Guitar excellent condition

sounds great with soft case"

They could have described it a bit more accurately. ;) I think would sound better out of the case!

This is a sweet SB-2. The finish has mellowed in a nice way. :cool: The split-coil MFD's are Leo's most potent ever, IMO. I tried a Tribute version in a music store a few years ago, but the test amp couldn't do it justice. :rollno:
  13. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

That looks exactly like my '89 with black crinckle hardware and "Leo" headstock. I wish I could recall whether or not it had the hook, sorry.
  14. bolophonic

bolophonic

My buddy has an SB-2 with that headstock and it has what I believe to be Dimarzio clones by Schaller.
  15. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The SB2 PJ's kept that oddball headstock for some years after the other models; though I don't know why.
    I think they finally changed in 87-ish, IIRC, but, it's been a while since I was a G&L freak, so, I could be wrong.
  16. audreycashin

audreycashin Supporting Member

:scowl:oops:k... which one of you bought it?!??!
  17. TurkeypillSLEEP

Chef I was hoping you would chime in. I am more than willing to accept what I believe is incorrect in this quandry, because clearly there are a myriad of images of PJ SB-2s with a "Leo" headstock. But I am quoting the G&L history page... Although it does mention that not all models switched to the hook at the same time, it does explicitly state that the PJ didn't come out until 1987. So my question is when did the SB2 switch to the hook?? I feel like I have seen SB2s with dual SC that had the hook.

Does that mean that after they switched to the PJ config they also reverted to the Leo headstock and then back to the hook?

::come clarity::

Sorry for the slight derail effort on my part OP, that bass looks legit either way. I say go for it... I would if I had the dough.
  18. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I've never seen an early SB2JJ with the 'eye gouger' headstock.

Also, please note, the SB2 headstock is "it's own thing," and not the same shape as the early L2000 and L1000.
  19. msact

Whoever bought that bass got a very nice deal!
  20. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member

I have an older g&l with that headstock.