1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Is this legit?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dubsly, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Dubsly

Dubsly Supporting Member

I came by an ad on CL for a medium scale Jazz bass from the mid eighties. I sent him a message about doing a trade and he was interested in what I had, so I requested pictures and he sent them.

I have a few concerns. After doing some searching, I feel like maybe this was a Squier that someone changed the headstock badge on. And the "Made in Japan" on the heel even looks odd.

In my search, I also found the ebay ad he purchased it from 6 months ago. In fact, when I search for "e-series medium scale fender jazz" his CL ad and the ebay listing are the only ones that come up.

So, my questions are:

1. Is it a Squier badged Fender?
    2. Did Fender Japan make a shortscale Jazz in the eighties that wasn't a Squier?

I really hate to think that anyone is trying to pull something, but I just haven't been able to find much info on them. Thanks in advance for any help.

Here's the ebay link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPER-RARE-...ZZ-BASS-SUPER-RARE-MEDIUM-SCALE-/321148141078

Here's the pics he sent me.

Attached Files:

• f1.jpg
      f1.jpg
      File size:
      417.6 KB
      Views:
    • f2.jpg
      f2.jpg
      File size:
      267.9 KB
      Views:
  2. pfox14

pfox14

I'll curious to see what everyone thinks of this one. Decal does not look right to me, but I'm no expert.

3. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Fender did make medium scale basses in Japan in the mid-late 80's. The photos you posted look completely fine. It's almost certain that bass has not been re-badged.
    MIJ Squiers and MIJ Fenders from the 80's are very close in value. No sensible person would go to the trouble of making an MIJ Squier into a MIJ Fender. You'd lose money doing it.

4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Looks right to me.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. russpurdy

russpurdy

Little off topic but I had a medium scale squier precision and it was the strangest bass ever. It wasn't obviously small like a short scale but never looked right compared to a long scale either. Like someone put a p bass in the dryer.