1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Is this legit?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Salamenster, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Salamenster

Salamenster

[​IMG]

Popped up at an online used market in my area. I've never seen BOSS pedals that looked like this...

And if they are, they're probably older ones. Still good?
  2. bk2mono

bk2mono

3. Salamenster

Salamenster

Wow, dayum. :hyper:

They're good?
  4. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

Yes. I think they are from the mid to late 80's. Probably made in Japan.
  5. atticpenny

atticpenny Supporting Member

I can't speak to the Limiter, as I've never owned one, but the GE-7B looks legit (the limiter probably is as well, IMO). I have the old brown one like that laying around in a box in a drawer. Bought it waaay back in the 80s, I think. It was made in Japan. It was a decent EQ for the time. Served my purposes well for a long time. Nowadays I prefer EQs that color tone more and have a unique voice (like a Sansamp BDDI or VT). However, I will use that old thing every now and then on my ABG (when I don't want too much tone coloring, but need some extra EQing). That is why I've never sold it.
  6. Salamenster

Salamenster

Okay, so it's still holding up against it's modern brethern?
  7. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

That is hard to say. I think we are living in the golden age of effects pedals. There are just so many great ones being produced now that it is hard to say that the vintage stuff was better. That being said, I have a vintage BF-2 which I love. I has a slightly dirty, warm sound that I associate very strongly with an 80's era Boss pedal. I think you should evaluate these pedals against your personal tone goals. You may find that it really works for you. However if it doesn't, no worries, there is lots of great stuff to choose.
  8. atticpenny

atticpenny Supporting Member

Keep in mind that this is just my opinion, and everyone's opinion will vary some. I think it holds up for certain applications. It is a good, basic eq. If you are getting it at a good price and you like how it sounds, then awesome! However, for me nowadays, bass pedal technology has come a long way since the 80s. There are lots more options to choose from. My personal preference is that a lot of the modern bass effects (including EQs) have improved tremendously since the 80s.
  9. Salamenster

Salamenster

I can get both for approx. €70,- excl. around €10 worth of postage. So about €80-85 ~ $110-115
  10. bassbrad

bassbrad

Those old brown Boss pedals were very good in their day an d are still good but things have come a long way since then including true bypass or better buffered bypass circuits.
    I prefer the older EQ because of the frequencies.
  11. Salamenster

Salamenster

Guy accepted offer of 65,- euros with about 7.50 euros in porto, so I guess 100 dollars or so in total. Go for it?
  12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's like the other guys said. Those were good pedals 30 years ago, and they are probably still decent now, for rock and roll. The price is fair--not a steal, but fair. Go for it if you are just starting out with effects, and if there's nothing newer in your price range.
  13. Swift713

Swift713

I had that chorus pedal briefly. I think the salesman told me it was supposed to leave the lower frequencies unaffected. I thought it sounded dark and muddy so I exchanged it for the stereo chorus which I liked much better.