1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Is this possible, or am I being scammed?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by eukatheude, Apr 1, 2014.

1. eukatheude

eukatheude

I've put my eyes on an used Kustom DE 300 HD head. The asking price is right. The guy states in the ad that sometimes volume cuts out for a second or two, and says the fault is in the old, "tired" preamp tube. Since a new tube isn't much money, and what i'm reading of this head so far is convincing me, I'd quite inclined to splurge. However I think it's best to check with you folks! Could it really be just the tube or it could be a symptom of something far more troublesome? I contacted the guy for more info and I'm to call him this evening, is there anything specific you think I should ask about?

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

I would avoid that amp. YMMV

3. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    If it is a cheap easy fix, why doesn't he do it himself? I would pass because I don't know enough about amps to take a chance.

4. eukatheude

eukatheude

I know a bit about electronics and I'd be able to swap out components if need be. But I've never worked on an amp before and I don't feel like taking chances either. I'm curious though, and I want to know what does he have to say on the matter.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Yes, absolutely.

7. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Can't be too much wrong or it would be dead.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

That's not a symptom of 'tube failure' there's something else going on.

9. eukatheude

eukatheude

Thanks. I may be able to talk him down significantly on the price with this in mind. He's asking for 150 euros btw, but if I can snag it for cheap it's a deal. Even if I have to fix it.

10. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

If I were selling an amp with a simple fix issue I would certainly fix it
    before listing it.
    Buyer beware.

11. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

Save your dosh and spend it towards a good cab. ;)

12. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Not much discount on a new one from Thommann. At 16kg it should be an oldschool amp and fixable but you want a far better price.

13. eukatheude

eukatheude

I should add he states on the ad that, when the volume cuts out, the line output is still stable.
    Which doesn't sound right to me. If the problem is the tube (and assuming he's running the line out post-eq), how can the line out be stable? Maybe the issue is in the power section.
    Best way to check would be playing it through the power amp in / FX loop.

Well it's 100 euro less. And he says no haggling. But I'm gonna haggle anyway.

Heh. I want both a new amp and a new cab. If I buy this or any other amp, I can also sell my Ashdown combo for at least 200-250 and have more to invest in the cab.

14. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

This is true. Riis's Rule of All Things Electrical and/or Mechanical: @#$& that's truly broken doesn't repair itself.

Offer him a fraction of the asking price with the knowledge that the problem may reside elsewhere and bench fees are not cheap.

Riis

15. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

You're onto it. If it's SMD boards you can give it away. If it's oldschool circuits a tech can probably fix it, accent on probably, so the price needs to reflect that. Mucho cheaper.

16. eukatheude

eukatheude

I'd try to repair it myself if it dies. Always wanted to learn about amp repair.
    I doubt it's SMD but I'm sending a mail to Kustom to double check.

I checked the owner's manual and that confirms my suspicion about the tube: http://www.kustom.com/Content/20103/DE300HD-OwnersManual-RevA_Final_31MAR2009ra.pdf page 9
    If the tube is faulty, why isn't the line out affected too? Doesn't matter if he runs it pre/post EQ as the tube is always involved.

17. username1

username1 Supporting Member

If it were just a simple fix like changing a tube I'm sure he would have done it already to get the best price from the amp. I think he's getting rid of it because of the problem.

18. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

As I said, you're onto it, meaning you are correct, the power stage is corrupting.

19. eukatheude

eukatheude

Yep. This however deprives him of the benefit of the doubt (if he was running the line out pre eq, and the tube was out of the circuit, it was still a possibility that the tube was malfunctioning).
    What do you mean by corrupting? Is it a general term for malfunctioning or you mean something specific?

20. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Cutting out.

Over and out.

21. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman

Before I retired as an amp tech, I fixed amps for a Kustom dealer. Most repairs were store stock and turned out to be poorly seated ribbon cables. While I've never worked on one of these heads, I would assume it is something as simple as a tube reseat, cable reseat or tube change. I felt Kustom's designs were great but the construction is a bit under-robust.