1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Strat-Mangler, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Bass -> Tech 21 SansAmp Para Driver DI -> Apogee JAM -> iPad using GarageBand

I'd like to use the following to overdub bass on a track a friend sent me.

Possible? I don't currently own the Bass Driver but intend to buy it if I get feedback from you knowledgeable folks that not only it's possible, but it'll sound great. :D

Keeping my fingers crossed as I'd like to not spend much if possible.

2. JamesGoodall

JamesGoodall

I use the sansamp RBI in my signal chain. It has a DI output either pre or post drive that I could easily plug into either my box or my mixer. I'm not sure which sansamp you're thinking of using, but I'm sure it will sound great! Definitely possible.

3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

The Tech 21 SansAmp Para Driver DI. I updated my 1st post.

Really wonder how I could make this work, though... through the iPad and GarageBand.

Ideas?

4. JamesGoodall

JamesGoodall

Bass --> Sansamp --> Apogee Jam --> iPad! Easy as that. I cant vouch for the quality of the Jam, but it will work just fine. My friend uses GarageBand on his iPad for his recordings, and the kid can get a pro sounding mix on it, so you should be fine!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Best way.

Bass --> Apogee Jam --> iPad

Re-amp
    iPad play bass track -> Apogee out --> Sansamp --> Apogee in -> iPad another track

In this re-amp mode listen to the bass in the mix, and adjust for best sound to you.

Keep the original track as clean an uncolored as you can. Once you get the dirt in it's very hard to get it out.

7. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Thanks for the suggestion, seamonkey, but I'm confused.

I would need two Apogee JAM and iPad units to make this happen?

Are there any examples of how this would sound anywhere? Just so I can get an idea?

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Just one, it can send out and record in at the same time.

Search for "re-amp"
    re-amping is very common.

9. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Here's a thought. Download Jamup XT, then add the Bass Expansion in-app.

The amp models are the best you'll find, and the bass expansion will also give you a model of the BDDI, which is very close to the Bass Driver.

And the Apogee Jam is a great interface. I love mine.

10. Dilbert

Dilbert

i use an apogee jam > ipad2 >auria and its an awesome little setup, no problems whatsoever ;)

11. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Be sure to add Audiobus to your list of apps to get. It opens up a whole new world of capabilities.

12. KrisHayes

KrisHayes

Just run the line out into the input of the Jam. No reason to re-amp in your case.