1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Is this really worth nerding out over?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Gremson, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Gremson

Gremson

I want/need to replace the speakers in my Acoustic 106 cab.
    One is original and kinda crusty, the other is a Peavey that I have repaired several times with toilet paper and mod podge.
    It doesn't sound bad, but I can't help but think I'd be much better off with some new speakers in it.
    I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that it would sound outright "bad" with incorrect speakers, especially since it doesn't sound too shabby with mismatched, ghetto repaired speakers now.
    I've read that Eminence Kappalite 3015lf's are a suitable replacement for this cab, but I'm a broke bitch and was hoping to spend about $100 a piece.

Would I be committing blasphemy by throwing in some Eminence Legends, or other inexpensive driver?

2. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    Kappalite 3015LF's would not be a good replacement driver...The 3015 (non LF) could be :)

3. Gremson

Gremson

Well, balls.

My everything is ruined.

4. dukeorock

Disclosures:
    Sorry to hear about your everything, bro :)

To clarify, the 3015 (non LF) is also a fantastic driver, and works better as a full range driver than the LF, which works best in a 2-3way design with a crossover involved

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. darius8

darius8

For a $100 a piece, I'd go for the Delta 15LFA's. They're a tad less in the xmas but same in SPL and freq range.

7. dukeorock

Disclosures:
    I agree they're cheaper :ninja:

Considerably less sensitive though

8. Gremson

Gremson

Probably considerably more sensitive than what I have though, no?

9. Arjank

Arjank

Just took a look at such an Acoustic 106 cab. 1st thing that I noticed are the rather smallish ports, these are not made for a 3015LF....it would push to much air through these, creating port-noise at higher SPL levels.

What are the cabs dimensions? can't really tell how deep that cab is on the pics I've seen. Need to calculate the internal volume.....

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Beta or Delta 15a. Cheaper than the 3015, voiced to sound like vintage speakers.

11. Arjank

Arjank

If the OP wants to use the Beta's or the Delta 15a's he should consider to close them ports. This will create a tighter low-end, the before mentioned drivers will sound to boomy/mushy in that cab when it stays ported.

12. nysbob

nysbob

....and there's a world of stuff out there NOT made by Emminence. :p

13. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Eminence have the edge on providing the specs necessary to know what they'll sound like.

When you do put new speakers in, line the cab with knobbly foam, I did it to my Acoustic cab and it made it sound better with stock speakers, took a nasty bit out of the high mid/top.

What amp are you using with it and how loud? That kind of determines what xmax to do for, because if you are using a 100w valve head, no need to fuss about excursion much.

14. Landy67

Landy67 Gold Supporting Member

Isn't it only about $75 to have a speaker re-coned?

Parts Express

That would be in your budget.

15. Arjank

Arjank

Thats totally true, but I think Eminence is easy to get/buy in the US. A lot of other manufacturers are from Europe, making them a bit more expensive.

16. Arjank

Arjank

Valid point about the amp power.

What stock speakers do these Acoustic cabs have? I did see some pics that looked like JBL's with these Alu dustcaps. They have a bit more treble then e.g. a Emi Legend CB15.

17. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Some had square magnet eminence with white dust caps, looks like ali in photos.

18. jlepre

jlepre

Let the NERDING OUT begin... :)

19. Arjank

Arjank

Ah, that clears things up.

Think the OP has to know how much a different 15 will affect the sound. Mr. Foxen, you said they had a nasty mid/high top. Most 15's have a breakup node between 2 and 3khz, any idea if the original drivers sound more extended?

20. Arjank

Arjank

+1

We have to keep the "nerd" flame burning :bag:
    Well, all we want is to help the OP in making the "right" choice.

Ok, what drivers are available for 100 bucks?
    Lets make a list and then we can choose by lookin' at the cons/pros.

21. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Since the nasty bit was fixed by lining the cab, I think it was the peak/notch bit from the reflection from the back of the cab. It was a 402 so quite shallow. They were kind of guitary sounding so some cone breakup up there would make sense. Really, needing to know what sort of sound the OP is after is necessary to choose the top bit, power is what we need to know for the bottom bit. I could eq out the nasty and have a warm wooly tone before I lined it, it was nice, but I like bite too, I have a tone control on my bass to lose it as necessary. It the guy is playing reggae with a 100w valve head, suddenly it all matters much less.